New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

240 wagon make sense for a non-mechanic owner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240 wagon make sense for a non-mechanic owner?

Hi everyone. I am considering buying a 240 wagon after it has been restored and made perfect by a garage down in LA. I'm really excited by the prospect of owning a wagon and taking my family on road trips in it. Making memories in a super cool wagon, the kind you can't find much on the road these days. My excitement is palatable. However, recently someone offering motherly advice (my mom) reminded me that I don't know the first thing about cars and it would be very expensive to fix and keep running. She is right that I know nothing about cars and would probably only be inclined to learn how to change the oil. I'm seeking this forum's advice on whether it's a silly idea to think that a non-car person should consider investing in a 240 wagon as my main ride for trips up and down the west coast with my wife and two dogs in tow?
I'm hoping desperately not to have my bubble burst, but I also want to be realistic.

Thank you!

Old 07-10-2016, 11:54 AM

Sorry for the lengthy post...

Routine maintenance on a 240 would be the same expenses as any other car. That being said access to parts may pose an issue and something to look into.

While I think it's a good idea for people to know how to do maintenance on their cars, I recommend oil changes at a shop. Not a quick lube shop but a shop with a lift that does full inspections and offers complete vehicle repair, somewhere you trust and will take your car to get worked on. Most places will do it for around the same price for you to do it yourself. Don't get my wrong, the inspection is to find things they make money on. But your at a shop you trust and would have the work done there anyway. It's a win/win, oil change for about the same price and professional inspection for things you may not know what to look for.

Things to know how to do on your own that can save you lots of money...

Air filter replacement, fluid checking and top off between maintenance, light bulb replacement, windshield wiper blade replacement and battery replacement/maintenance. These require little know how (find videos online for your car) and few tools. I've changed light bulbs on cars for $45... $3 bulb that's 20 minutes of work makes it $45+. Early model Toyota Prius headlight runs $1000+... no joke, takes that long to get access and put everything back.

More importantly, how is the car being restored? Are they using oem parts or slapping on cheepest they can find? Will they stand by their work and for how long? Are they a good and affordable place for you to bring the car to for maintenance and repairs? Do they help educate you on how to best care for your car? Do they know and love Volvo? Would they love or hate to see your car pull into the lot?

I want to believe a shop taking the time restore a car would want to do as much as possible to keep the car alive and on the road for as long as possible. That being said, it could pay to start a good relationship with them and get to know the people working on the car. Small gestures like being polite, having patience with unexpected delays and asking questions to help you understand what's going on can do you wonders. I've brought in a 6 pack of beer at closing time and just bs'ed with my old go to guy...

To keep an already long post shorter. If you are good people and love your car and they are good people and know you love your car your, your car will always be in good hands.

Best of luck.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:26 PM

@dead_eric - Thank you for the insightful thoughts on owning a wagon. You inspired me to look for a class locally on how to do basic things with one's vehicle - like change the air filter. There actually is a volvo repair 5 mins walk from my house, so I was thinking of stopping by there (w/o a six pack for the first visit) just to ask some questions. Next weekend is a trip to this guy Wagon Meister in Palmdale (LA) to learn more about the changes they make the wagons. It's all super exciting...I just want to make sure I'm not in over my head as a non handy female! Thanks again

Old 07-11-2016, 08:22 AM
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

I will just second the notion that the key to fixing cars is to have a good person. If you are not that person then you'll certainly need one. There may be people in your area who specialize in keeping Volvos running. That is a fairly common thing.

There is no limit to the amount you can be cheated. That is the real problem. There are a lot of people in the business that mean well, but can't really fix anything. There are a lot of people who don't mean well.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:38 PM

Thank you @firebirdparts. This volvo garage near me is rated 5 stars on Yelp. But I hear you and @dead_eric that it's essential to get an honest person helping maintain the vehicle.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:25 PM

Being in LA, I doubt you'll have to worry about rust. If you have a friend who knows a bit about cars, bring them along.

It's much easier to be a DIY mechanic these days. There are numerous people who have their own online media instructing on how to do car stuff. No such thing in my day. I learned by doing and lots of "reverse engineering".

I'm subscribed to a few youtube "DIY mechanics/instructors" channels. Plus, you have the forum right here. Search the 240 section for just about anything.

What your mother said made sense - at least for 20-30 years old American cars. They are awful. Volvos are much safer and stouter. I don't know about parts - some makes have more expensive replacement parts than others.

You can start doing stuff by googling how-tos. Start with simple stuff, like the air filter as you stated. Basically, it consists the removal of the air filter housing, replace filter, reverse the removal procedure (putting it back on and fastening it).