New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Another Noobie

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Noobie

I'm a new guy too - new to the post and Volvos. Just got a 2003 s40 the other day and I am being introduced to the world of high cost repairs and parts. Any suggestions before I start posting all over on the following subjects:
[ul][*]Need to fix the fuel door...there appears to be something missing on the rubber bumper inside b/c the door closes too far and you have to push it out manually. Is there a release somewhere also?[*]Where can I get another fuel cap with the cord attached? The cord is broken and I think it has been 15 years since I had to set a cap somewhere and I am trying like crazy to lose it.[*]Spare keys? I called the dealer and he said at least $200 for a key, without the remote function. Am I really that screwed?[*]And, interior parts...the glove compartment has a big scratch on it and I can't find any online places that sell them. Surely they made replacements.[/ul]
Thanks for any info and for the great forum.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:16 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Another Noobie

Hello chodges,

Greetings from Chicagoland.

When you post a question next time, it'll help you better to post it on a vehicle specific thread. I drive 850 and most of the time I post questions/replies there.

I'm not familiar with S40, but the cost of repair is pretty much in the same ballpark for many imports. I myself use a vendor called FCP Groton.com, located in Connecticut. Their price may not be the best, but they have good parts illustrations and they only carry OEM or better parts. When you need to repair your Volvo, I strongly suggest that you stick to the OEM parts, unless you plan to do some mods.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo.htm

In regard to your questions:
1) I am not sure how fuel filler door is set up on S40, I'm sorry.
2) Call FCP Groton, try junkyard, auto parts stores, etc...
3) $200 for a key is ridiculous. I would try metal smith.
4) I haven't found much interior trim pieces on-line. Again,call FCP Groton to see if they carry one. It sounds like a dealer item. Also, you may want to try eBay or junkyard.

I wish you have a good experience with your Volvo & this forum.

Regards,

JPN

Old 01-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Another Noobie

Most of the stuff has to be bought from the dealer.