New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

A belated intro...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A belated intro...

Hey, all...

I'm here for the same reason as most of you. I am a Volvomaniac. I live in Canada and Volvos seem to be made for my environment.

I've had other cars, but not one of them had the same spirit that I find in a Swedemobile. Let's see...I've gone over winter roads, in the summer, where the 4x4's fear, whilst merrily drivingthe '82 GLT. I did get stuck once, but that's another story. Thank gawd for Volvo tire jacks!

I started with a 1971 145S. I have only had one wagon, but I do like the utility. One squeaky shock kept the other campers awake, though.

Next, I found a minty 1973 142GL. It was a fun car that pulled more than a few cars out of ditches. People were always amazed when the little foreign car could pull the big truck out of the mud. My Ex hated that car, as her dad was a Chrysler guy.

Next up was a 1982 GLT. A true SuperCar. I always could scare myself after a tune-up. I really miss that car. I drove a very nice highway in the Ozarks with it. You know, the one that warns about how many people have died in the next 26 miles. I don't condone speeding, but it was such a nice road...

Hmmm.....After that came the 1979 262C. A very cool car that the local dealer never could understand. I didn't like the V6, but the leather was artwork.

Then came the '92 940GLE. This was perhaps the least spirited Volvo I've had. A nice car, but lacking the in performance I've come to expect.

Thus came the '84 760 Turbo. I drove the hell out of this car and it really seemed to like it. This one, like most of the others, was a manual transmission. It would smoke one tire from 1st through 3rd. It handled great, too. This car died of old age, recently. It wasn't worth rebuilding. My son really misses it.I do, too. Oh, I once pushed an 8x12 shed across the yard with this car. The gf said she'd like it better if it was "over there." I didn't even scratch the bumper. Tractability, thy name is "Old Volvo!"

Now, I have a few S60's. I've got an '02 T5 that grunts when it leaves a light. I had to change some steering linkage in it. A first for me. I also have an '01 2.4T. This car is docile and smooth, unless you tell it to get hot. Of late, I'm using the '04 2.5T AWD. I think I'm going to enjoy this winter as the car will break the front, rear or all wheels loose, at will. Get my drift?

Anyway, I've lost a lot of skin to the repair gods over the years. I've gotthe ABS module out of a friend's car, at the moment. I ain't no master mechanic, but I am a machinist and engineer. I may look for an R, next. Maybe an Evolve creation. Maybe another '82 GLT.

So, I thank the people who put this site together. I've been reading it for a while and decided to join a few months ago. This is a good idea!

Cheers,

Ric

Old 11-22-2007, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: A belated intro...

We welcome a true Volvo fan.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:43 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Ric,

Greetings from Narita, Japan.

Welcome to the forum, I envy that you've been driving so many different Volvos. Yes they are made for freezing weather as experienced in Sweden. Swedish vehicles do have unique taste, but I never liked the interior of Saabs. I used to drive '94 850 T5 and even though it had many problems, I really liked it. The exterior styling never seems to go out-of-date, even parked right next to 2007 model vehicles.

Good luck to you,

JPN

Old 11-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NOW THAT'S AN INTRODUCTION!

Old 11-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the welcoming, people. I hope to be able to contributesomethingto this forum to help others and to attempt repayment to those who run the forum. I know that I've already found wisdom and perspective here. It is nice to have a venue, such as this, available for all to learn from.

Cheers!