New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Car trouble I hope someone can help me

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car trouble I hope someone can help me

I have a 1985 Volvo dl wagon 4speed 240 was sitting for a month and when I drove it I could hear the fuel pump, I usually can hear it but this time it was louder. So while I was driving up 92 the steering got really hard in the turns I didn't know that the belt came off
i got to the place where I was headed to and pulled in the parking lot and the car died. So when I started it,it died again. I went a little further and stopped the car and found out that it was a belt that came off so this one person put it back on. It broke so I drove with it off.
I then drove it home. It died just once more when I stopped.. there's no air-conditioning but it has a belt anyway it was by passed before I got the car.
The next day I took it to San Jose and when I got there it died and wouldn't start. We checked a few things. Checked the fuel pump and it not getting any fuel. So if anyone knows what to do I would be so happy.

Thank you

Susanne4

Last edited by Suzanne4; 02-13-2018 at 08:52 PM. Reason: I need to put one more thing in
Old 02-13-2018, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

start by jumpering the fuel pump relay to see if you can build fuel pressure that way, but plan on buying a new fuel pump... you may be able to replace the relay but usually the relays burn out because the pump is starting to fail

Old 02-14-2018, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzanne4
I have a 1985 Volvo dl wagon 4speed 240 was sitting for a month and when I drove it I could hear the fuel pump, I usually can hear it but this time it was louder. So while I was driving up 92 the steering got really hard in the turns I didn't know that the belt came off
i got to the place where I was headed to and pulled in the parking lot and the car died. So when I started it,it died again. I went a little further and stopped the car and found out that it was a belt that came off so this one person put it back on. It broke so I drove with it off.
I then drove it home. It died just once more when I stopped.. there's no air-conditioning but it has a belt anyway it was by passed before I got the car.
The next day I took it to San Jose and when I got there it died and wouldn't start. We checked a few things. Checked the fuel pump and it not getting any fuel. So if anyone knows what to do I would be so happy.

Thank you

Susanne4
It's not the fuel pump cause that was checked, do you think it could be a chip? The pump is good it checked out. So still not sure. Every thing costs so I don't want to spend needlessly. And is it that important to buy the exact thing's the car came with?

Old 02-14-2018, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

"be a chip"? you said its not getting any fuel. There's not may parts in the fuel delivery process - fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator... hearing the pump doesn't mean its producing enough fuel pressure so that would need to be measured. with that said, you can open the fuel lines and see if it flows out of the tank and into the pump. you should also consider replacing the fuel filter. Dunno about your specific model but if its similar an 84 Audi, there's a line from the tank to the pump, then a line to the fuel pump and then there's the fuel line to the front. easy enough to replace (but can be messy if you don't clamp lines or have a stopper). You can also follow the fuel lines under the car to see if there's any mechanical damage crimping the lines but I'm thinking you may have something going on the tank - ie condensation, crud in the fuel pick up etc. Nothing on your model is expensive or difficult to repair :-)