New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Help me make the best decision.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me make the best decision.

Hello folks. As I'm sure you have already detemined, I'm new here.

We (my wife and I) are shopping for a replacement for our 99 Taurus wagon for our family. I really like the Taurus (I know, I've heard all the insults before) but as you know they aren't making them anymore.

We both want an AWD vehicle and I'm a wagon fan. My wife really seems to be leaning towards a Ford Edge or Mazda CX-9, both AWD. She seems to like sitting up a little higher and thinks they look "cool". I, on the other hand, have taken a fancy to the V70 and to a lesser extent XC70 wagons. The 2006 and prevous models have the added bonus of the third seat for those times when you might have to cart around an extra kid or two.

Up here in the Great White North there seems to a significant price premium for Volvos. For an XC70, it can be a few thousand more than an Edge, but in the same neighbourhood(ish) as the Mazda.

My questions:

I would prefer an AWD V70 (is that automatically an R model?), but acknowledge the every XC70 is AWD. Aside from the height difference and outside esthectics, what are the differences between the two vehicles?

How practical are the third seats in these wagons?

Are there any cold climate volvo enthusiasts living in states or provinces that use salt in the winter that can tell me how well the bodies stand up toit, how long do they last?

Does anyone know of a link I could use to see very specific crash test or safety results that would probve that the Volvo is the safest choice of the vehicles I have listed?

Any other pieces of wisom you could throw me that would help me to convince me and my wife that the price differecne is worth it would be great.

Thanks very much in advance for your help,
Trav

Old 12-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Help me make the best decision.

Welcome to the forum.

1. From what I know the only V70 that is AWD is the "R' model. I could be wrong.

2. All XC70's are AWD, so your correct on that.

3. A V70R has an HPT engine (High Pressure Turbo engine). Meaning it has a bigger turbo and more power. All the XC70's have an LPT engine (Low Pressure Turbo engine). Meaning it has a smaller turbo which makes less power. So both cars are turbocharged.

My dad has an 03 XC70, has had it for a couple years now and we live in PA. We get snow and they do use salt and antiskid material on the roads here. It is holding up well.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:33 PM

actually they are making taurus's. If you like taurus's that much stay with them. The 08 taurus is pretty cool, everything has been upgraded on them.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum, Ilovemangoes?

I had a Taurus also. I don't want to wear my finger tips to bloody stumps, typing out all the problems we had with it. Suffice to say, we junkedthe rusting skow so noone else would be burdened by it's misbehavior.(Ironically, It was running good at the time) That out of the way. The V70 owes us problems ! Yes, Owes us. If a problem comes up, I welcome it, wondering, why more hadn't shown? Almost 205K miles, It handles and rides better than when the Taurus was new. What rust? What break down. It owes me nothing. It's good in the snow too. Did I mention ? I like my car.

FORD.............Fix Or Repair Daily

Volvo.............Volvo Owners Love Volvos Okay

Old 12-19-2007, 04:17 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum, I hope it helps you make the right decision.

I personally agree with mcguij1, because the best car out there is the one you like. If Taurus is still available with AWD, that' probably what I would get. Also, as an alternative you may want to test drive a Subaru, as their AWD system seems to be leading the industry.

Should you decide on a Volvo, here are the pro's & con's.

PRO'S:
- The safest vehicles available to the public. Many people have survived in serious accidents only because they were in a Volvo.
- Excellent acceleration on turbo models.
- Fairly long-life, competing with Japanese makes head-to-head (only if they are properly maintained).
- Value for the money (for pre-owned Volvos; new ones are almost unaffordable).
- Good on snow, even the RWD models (don't know how Volvo does that).
- Comparatively straightforward to do many repairs yourself.

CON'S:
- Repair cost can be a bit higher than American/Japanese makes.
- Certain components are known to go bad and no recalls are issued on them.
- Weak on electrical & electronic components (same for all European makes).
- If I remember correctly, certain components on the V70's AWD system cannot be repaired and have to be replaced as an assembly.

Although I'd like to see more Volvo drivers, I would take time and shop around. Test drive each vehicle before paying for one if possible, and before paying for one make sure to have it inspected by the technician of your choice.

EDIT: Also, check for possible recalls; the dealers must repair recall items with no charge to the customers. Scroll down on the following web site to find each model & year of Volvo:

http://automallusa.net/1998/volvo/v70/recalls.html

I hope this is of some use.

Happy holidays,

JPN

Old 12-19-2007, 07:11 PM

Hi everyone

Thanks very much for the excellent advice so far. Test drives will certainly be had on each and every model before I buy. Used really does seem to the key to affordability for Volvos.

As for the Tauruses (Tauri?), just because they call it a Taurus doesn't make it one. The Taurus X, which is supposed to replace the old wagon, is actually a renamed Freestyle. Not on my list of favourites.

If anyone else has some tidbits of gold I would love to hear them.

Trav