New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Here I am, now

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here I am, now

We had a 765 some time ago. It was a 70 something four door sedan with the Diesel engine.
The Heater motor quit. I cut a hole and replaced it rather than tear out that dash.
But when the Diesel started burning oil (really smoky, very noticable) I thought it best to sell it cheaply rather than repair that Diesel.
We both liked that Diesel. My Wife would have another one.

Because we liked it so much, I would like to throw up for discussion, the idea of installing a Volvo diesel in my 1977 F-150 Ford Pickup.

In what Fourm would this topic be welcome?

Old 12-07-2004, 10:51 PM
Default RE: Here I am, now

well, how much power did the volvo diesel make? If I were you, I'd look for an older Ford 6.9L diesel engine, as that will provide more power than the volvo engine, and more torque, which is what you will need for a larger, heavier vehicle like a truck. Hope this helps.

BTW, if you put a Volvo engine in, anyways, you'd have to get custom motor mounts, wiriong, etc, swap to a volvo transmission,a nd get a custom driveshaft made, or get your shortened and properly balanced. More than anything, just simply too much work. Go find yourself a good running, 6.9 disel in a junkyard, give it a proper tune-up, etc, adn let her go. If it blows up 2-3 years down the road, who cares, rebuild it yourself, it's a fun learning experience, as long as you have another vehicle to drive so you can take your time. Then, you'll have a new 300k mile motor.

Old 12-09-2004, 03:39 AM
Default RE: Here I am, now

Thanks for the try Kenny.

The 6.9/7.3's are good. But very heavy. I owned an 88 F-250 Diesel for several years. Way too heavy for an F-150.

This Volvo thing is a question. I dont know how much torque the Volvo has.
I'm just questioning the forum to see if anybody else has looked into this.

My opinion is that a smaller diesel would need a six speed transmission.

I also did not know which forum to put the question on. I wanted a lot more traffic.