New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Hi every1

Old 06-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi every1

Hi every1,

My name is Evan and I am a Volvo nut! I am and always will be. Soon I will be going off to college and of course I will need a car. My mom offered to give me her car, but I am not a fan of Mercedes. I think Volvos are much safer, more reliable, more durable, and the engineering that goes in to a Volvo is just simply amazing and cannot be matched. The models that I am looking at are:

1) S40

2) S60

3) S80

All of these models range from 1998 to 1999. Which model do you guys recommend? I would also like to note that I am keeping an open mind to getting a station wagon, as that space could come in handy.

Old 06-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Hi every1

Well why not a S70 or C70? Also look into the turbo models for all of them, I wouldn't buy one without one. Because once you get it and get the modding bug your going to want more power and your not going to get much from the n/a motors. So go for the turbo models please.

I would look into a V70 T5, V70R, S70 T5, S401.9T 1998 before the ETM was standard on 99+ cars, S80T6, S60T, S60R, all c70's in the U.S. have turbos (LPT and HPT models). Like I said I would go for something in the 1998 range, no 99+. The ETM is a bitch and you don't want to deal with it.

Aslo welcome to the forum.

Old 06-03-2006, 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

Well why not a S70 or C70? Also look into the turbo models for all of them, I wouldn't buy one without one. Because once you get it and get the modding bug your going to want more power and your not going to get much from the n/a motors. So go for the turbo models please.

I would look into a V70 T5, V70R, S70 T5, S401.9T 1998 before the ETM was standard on 99+ cars, S80T6, S60T, S60R, all c70's in the U.S. have turbos (LPT and HPT models). Like I said I would go for something in the 1998 range, no 99+. The ETM is a bitch and you don't want to deal with it.

Hey thanks for replying! I have been considering an S70 its just that I cant seem to find a good one in my area. Mind you though I haven't checked Auto Trader lately so there might be some updates. I am not really considering a C70 because I prefer to drive a bigger car. Also I have heard a few things here and there about Volvo's electronic throttle module, as far as I know Volvo has resolved that issue, but of course when buying a used car you just don’t know. I will most definitely stick to your recommendation for what year to get.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: volvo4ever

Hey thanks for replying! I have been considering an S70 its just that I cant seem to find a good one in my area. Mind you though I haven't checked Auto Trader lately so there might be some updates. I am not really considering a C70 because I prefer to drive a bigger car. Also I have heard a few things here and there about Volvo's electronic throttle module, as far as I know Volvo has resolved that issue, but of course when buying a used car you just don’t know. I will most definitely stick to your recommendation for what year to get.
Yes they may have resolved the issue, but it still stands as a poor design and a poor choice on their part. If I could I would sell my car in a heart beat for a 1998 s70 T5.

I mean yeah they have a 10 yr. 200,000 mile warranty on the ETM's and a new software update and what not. I just had all that **** done a little while back. Not happy that the damn software update wipped out my ECU upgrade, so I had to get that redone.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:12 PM

Yes they may have resolved the issue, but it still stands as a poor design and a poor choice on their part. If I could I would sell my car in a heart beat for a 1998 s70 T5.

I mean yeah they have a 10 yr. 200,000 mile warranty on the ETM's and a new software update and what not. I just had all that **** done a little while back. Not happy that the damn software update wipped out my ECU upgrade, so I had to get that redone.
True, which is why I am sticking to your recommendation to go for a 98 model. Man im sorry to hear you had to get all of that **** redone, thats definitely not cool. By the way the S70 you posted on car domain is one sick ride man. Very nice!

Old 06-03-2006, 05:14 PM

True, which is why I am sticking to your recommendation to go for a 98 model. Man im sorry to hear you had to get all of that **** redone, thats definitely not cool. By the way the S70 you posted on car domain is one sick ride man. Very nice!
Thanks, it is a work in progress. Also glad to hear your going to stick with 98 models.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:26 PM

Thanks, it is a work in progress. Also glad to hear your going to stick with 98 models.
Work in progress more like an amazingly nice master piece in progress! Volvo frigin rocks other cars!!!

Old 06-03-2006, 06:00 PM

Work in progress more like an amazingly nice master piece in progress! Volvo frigin rocks other cars!!!
LOL, well thank you

Old 06-03-2006, 07:43 PM

LOL, well thank you
Hey no problem, just speaking of the truth thats all. lol.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still prefer the 850 R or T5R. I like the interior better. There are more air vents in the dash for the A/C and the door panels are nicer. When my wife rides in the passenger side of the 98 V70 she compalins about the arm rests being so small, but not in the 850 where they are deeper. If you go for a wagon, I like the tail lights on the V70 much more than the 850 wagon. I still think my 97 850 R is faster than my sons 98 V70 R, but my daughters 99 S80 T6 is probably faster than either one. We are a Volvo family!