New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Hi from Hartford, CT

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi from Hartford, CT

I am no stranger to Volvos, but I am new to this forum so I am saying hi! I have owned 240's in the past, and currently own a 1996 850 Turbo Sedan. I lucked out with this car, a friend working at a car place had it come in on trade from an older couple, and I scooped it up for $2,500 with 88k miles on it (5 years ago). This car came with every single option imaginable, which was a big upgrade to me since at the time I was driving my 1989 240DL with 350k miles on it. Since then I have replaced almost every part in the engine bay, including a brand new 16T turbo with modified cooling hoses since it wasn't the direct fit I read about on other forums. Added the IPD RIP kit to it after a group of friends bought for me for my 30th birthday, some other little things and then boom, it blew up - catastrophic engine failure (most likely from the massive amounts of oil getting by the oil seals on the old failed turbo, caused misfire/detonation and destroyed piston #2) - last October (2012). Sourced the same model engine from a junkyard in CT for $1,300 - and it only had 30k miles on it! Successfully did the swap with the help of my friends, and the car has been running strong ever since. I am passionate about my Volvo, consider myself to have a very good working knowledge of this car after doing all the work on it and especially after the engine swap.

Currently battling a knock sensor issue, don't want the *new* engine to destroy itself. Just posted this elsewhere in the forums, hoping for some help:

This thread sounds very close to what I am working on currently. I have a 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo Sedan, successfully completed an engine swap 6 months ago with the same engine. Upgraded to a brand new 16T turbo, IPD RIP Kit. 6 months later I am battling knock sensor issues. Long story short, diagnosis from Volvo Dealer says my ECU is shot and keeps throwing the P0326 knock sensor code. I have heard that the only difference between a 96 Turbo and 96 T5-R is the ECU. Does anybody know if I could find a used ECU from a 96 T5R, drop it in my car, and be good to go? I have also read the ECU part numbers are picky if your car has an EGR or not. My car does not have an EGR, so would anybody know exactly what I could put into this car? Since I need a new ECU anyway, why not upgrade a bit? (I am not ready to spend the $700 to have IPD map my ECU, especially if it is already fried.....)

Cheers!