New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Hi, new here, not new to Volvos

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, new here, not new to Volvos

Hi Everyone,

I am on Volvo #16. Mostly had 240's (including several turbo and intercooled cars). Had a 142e with a big bore kit back in the day. Had a 740 for a very short time.

First car was a 65 122S that had driveshaft grommet issues, and a Dad (auto mechanic) who was scared of the noise, so he sold it and got me into muscle cars for a long time... but I drifted back to Volvos, as did he (especially after he found out that the noise could have been solved for $5)

After several years of selling down my 240s (mostly as they were flat worn out) I ended up almost Volvo less. I had my 83 244Ti project car that I hadn't messed with in over a year (head and exhaust manifold issues) until one night this past February, we drove past the Volvo lot, and there sat a 1999 C70... I had to at least look at it. Then we drove it. It was spectacular for such an old car (100k miles, 2 owner, fully maintained and it showed) It was just what the Dr ordered... That was on a Thursday, I called around and got my finances sorted out... called Monday... it was gone.

Well, frankly, we kicked it around, made several trips to the big metro areas around (like Dallas, KC, OKC) and kept finding, ummm, not good examples.
We did drive a S60 2.5T that we liked, but it had transmission issues...

So, back burner, and kept looking... found more about the S60R, and decided that was a smart sounding alternative, because it had 4 doors (with a 92 year old mother in law to take care of, it's like having kids at home again) and honestly, if I were to use it for work, I needed a sedan instead of a coupe. So, found several, all of which were, again, not good examples... until one day a buddy of mine calls from Kansas City and said he saw one on the Volvo lot up there... I got done with my day and we took a drive up... there was even another couple who were looking for one as well, and I even let them drive it while noodling through whether or not to buy it... but my Volvo Crazy runs deep, so it came home with us that night.

That car has been wonderous to drive, truly what those 20psi Turbo/intercooled 240s wanted to be... I've had a couple of small issues (like the seat trying to light me on fire) but overall, this is an AMAZING automobile, and I don't regret going back into debt for a car after 12 years without a car payment...

Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum.