New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

I'm Pete, and I'm a Volvoholic... "Hi Pete"

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm Pete, and I'm a Volvoholic... "Hi Pete"

Hello, I just found this site today trying to figure out how to shut off the Service light on my 1992 240. I got good help here, and I hope that any help I share will be useful.

Heer's a snapshot of my Volvo history.

My first Volvo was a 1977 244DL. I bought it in 1992 for $400 and ran it from 204,000 to 256,000. That sold me on these cars! This rustbucket was yellow. I treated all the spots with Rustoleum and Bondo, and painted the sucker black. It looked like an East German police car. But alas, the tranny gave out after 3 good years.

Second was a 1984 240DL. After buying it, we discovered that the windshield was a replacement, and not sealed very well, and water had collected at the bottom and rusted out the floor. A welder fastened and old hood underneath for the new floor. I liked the car, but I traded it in when I saw on the car lot my third Volvo:

Third was an immaculate red 240 wagon, 1985. It had been flawlessly taken care of. It is my favorite Volvo I ever owned. I still sometimes have dreams about it. Sadly, one drowsy morning in the work parking lot I wasn't paying attention and totalled it in a head-on. Doh!

I was in Michigan at the time, not exactly Volvo country, so I have a brief hiatus from them for a while, until my Honda Accord died, and I needed a beater quick, and stumbled upon my second-favorite Volvo, a 1971 164GL that I got for $200 (this was in 2000). This thing had a replacement manual choke (the original was non-functioning). At one time it had power-steering, but that was long-gone, and I really built up my biscepts driving this beauty to school. Unfortunately, there wasn't much compression in one of it's 6 cylinders, and so it got about 9 miles to the gallon. Gas prices in Milwaukee, WI that Spring got near $2 a gallon - yikes! When I graduated and got a job in Florida, my beloved 164's days were numbered. There was no way it was going to go across the country (my heart said "yes" my head [and wife] said "no"), and due to limited time, I had to junk it. I'm still haunted by that decision. I'd love to have that car back. Oh well. When I'm rich, I'll restore a 164.

It is 2004, and we once again are back into the world of Volvo's. We bought a 1992 240DL in perfect shape, and I can't believe how much I missed these things! I want to buy a 240 for my 19 month old so she will have something to drive in 15 years.

Other Volvos came into our family after the '77 that started it all. My brother had a 1982 240DL Manual (the only Volvo stick in our family). My girlfriend (now wife) drove a 1983 240 Turbo through college (we still joke about the "wooooosh" sound the turbo would make during acceleration), and my parents had a nice '88 240 Wagon for a while.

I'm all for progress, but I adore the 240's, and the 140's & 160's weren't all that shabby either!