New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

low coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low coolant

losing coolant.just installed new water pump,filled reservoir twice in 1 day. bad pump? out exaust?

Old 11-02-2020, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant loss

Originally Posted by madison03s60
losing coolant.just installed new water pump,filled reservoir twice in 1 day. bad pump? out exaust?
My V70 kept on losing coolant. My Volvo dealer tried many non cures at my expense, including replacing the radiator. Eventually I lost patience and tried to analyse the cause myself, and concluded that the heater matrix was leaking. I wrote this down and demanded to see the manager of the Volvo dealers and said that I would not leave until he could tell me the cause of the problem. Cutting out the crap he spouted, he finally said it must be a faulty cylinder head gasket, at which point I gave him my written analysis and insisted that he get a mechanic to inspect the heater matrix. He still tried to prvaricate but I insisted, and a few minutes later the mechanic returned with the heater matrix which was leaking badly. A new heater matrix solved the loss of coolant. Hope this could solve your problem.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

Since you have a new water pump installed, pop off the timing belt cover to see if any coolant is leaking out of the seal or the weep hole. Otherwise time to search for other areas where coolant is leaking - hoses? overflow reservoir? radiator (particularly along the seams) and heater core. Leaky heater cores can be the core or the hoses/o-rings but often let you know by a sweet smell when the heat first comes on and may leave the carpet in the front foot wells feeling damp. A shop can easily do a coolant system pressure test which puts about 1.2 bar of pressure into the system (via a compressor with the engine off) to allow the tech to look around for any weeping. Other than that is a head gasket issue where the coolant is getting into the combustion chamber. That would produce a white exhaust and again a somewhat odd sweet smell. If your visual checks come up empty, I'd have a shop do a pressure test.