New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Need Volvo Mechanic Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Volvo Mechanic Recommendation

This may be the incorrect place and I'm sorry if that the case. My daughter is in Portland with our 1998 Volvo S70 GLT. It's got some issues, stalling, smells when driving and now she says noisy. I'm freaked it might have run looowww on oil and be a bigger problem.

I just drove it from California to her 2 weeks ago, no problems except for smell. Got 24+ mpg and ran smooth all the way.

Does anyone have a favorite Volvo mechanic in the Portland Oregon area?

Thanks,

ps I've gotten lots of great advice here over the years. thank you all.

Old 10-12-2016, 07:33 AM

I lived in Portland for almost a year a few years ago and had a new car. My gosh the roads were so lousy, in and around Portland, that it was soooo loud inside the cabin. But when I found a spot that had been recently repaved it was a much more quiet driving experience. What is it that's "noisy" when she's driving??

Last edited by swissmiss; 10-12-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:55 PM

Get in touch with ipdusa.com.You're lucky to have them in your town.They sell Volvo parts and they are very knowledgeable and friendly. I 've ordered parts from them many times. Their number's on the website but they may not be open weekends. Maybe they can recommend someone.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

curious about the "smell" problem - if its sweet and comes on a few minutes after the car begins to warm up, it could be the heater core (or its o rings) leaking some antifreeze into the cabin, so keep an eye on the coolant level. If its smoke or sooty could be due to misfires. Check to see if there's any check engine light/ codes (Autozone will read for free in most stores). Stalling sounds more like a fuel delivery issue - ie pressure regulator, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, fuel filter etc. Could also be a engine coolant temp sensor. If the car starts fine then runs worse when warming up, check the temp sensor resistance cold and warm. Noises can be anything - engine noises ie exhaust system or popping etc? road noises ie tires, wheel bearings?