New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New guy.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy.

Hello all.
My name is Anthony and my wife's Acura "died" a bit back and had to be replaced. She primarily commutes to her job locally. Anyhow, long story short, we got an 98 AWD V70 wagon with about 73k miles on it. Nice shape and promised to be kept in good shape by previous oweners...The sticker under the hood says that the timing belt was changed at about 60k and about 3 years, or so ago. Also that it was "serviced" recently. I know that they changed the oil but not sure as to tune ups, transmission tune up etc. Possibly not. Though it seems to start and run fine.
The brakes look good and so far besides some noises and a sunroof leak when it pours, (which I'm looking into drains etc), it seems ok. We haven't done much with it and of course this is our 1st Volvo, though I always liked them. Hoping that if the experience is good to get more in the future as the need arises...Anyhow, back to this, would you guys that know lots about Volvos recommend any maintenance to be done pronto? Also how about that fresh air filter in the cabin? If I'm calling it right. Is that something that needs to be replaced and can an average guy like me do it?
Well thank you all for "listening" and hopefully this will start a long pleasurable relationship with Volvos...

Anthony V.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Unless you know when all the fluids were changed I would go ahead and do that. Timing belt should be good for awhile. Fresh air filter is an easy DIY.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there and thank you for the reply. Should a 73k but almost 13 year old car, also have a tune up along with a transmission fluid change etc?
Again, not knowing when the last one was done.
Plus besides the above and the oil change that was done before I got it, is there any other fluid that needs to go? this is the V70 AWD model.
Lastly, on that same filter, is that done from the inside of the cabin or from under the hood?
Thanks much,
TV