New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New Member - 2nd intro - Owner of '71 142s - Eye Candy Photos

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member - 2nd intro - Owner of '71 142s - Eye Candy Photos

So I bit the bullet and bought the '71 142s for my daily driver. When I test drove the car, the odometer read 110k, which is very low mileage for a car of this age. Problem was, the next day, the gauge cluster quit working. The owner knocked off $250 for that reason. So I bought the car for $750. She also has a decent size rust hole behind the passenger seat in the floor. Because of that, I can't see rebuilding the exhaust, as this car will never recoup the value. However I would like to fix the gauge cluster, I just have no idea where to start. I don't want to replace it if it's something mechanical and a new one wouldn't work anyway. They aren't very cheap or easy to come by. Does anybody have any idea where to start first and what to check? The car could also use some new suspension, but again, it just seems like I'd be throwing money in a hole.

I bought the car just before the new year, about 3 months ago. So far, all I've really done is redo the interior at the lowest cost possible and replaced the radio. She runs great, very much on the slow side of things, but she is a blast to drive. Some friends named her Janis Joplin, and even bought me a cassette to go with the name. Since I've had her, she has started up just fine in any weather, including 6 degrees! I've also taken her for short trips to the mountains, where I took some of these photos. I dare not take her much further, as I'm worried about adjusting the dual carburetor and know nothing about it.

Today, I took her for a joyride, just for the fun of it. I had people giving me the thumbs up all over town. It got me thinking, that I wish I knew of a good car club here in Denver that I could meet up with. Does anybody knows of any groups out here that are fans of these old bricks? I'd love to ride around with them. I know there is at least one other '71 or '72 142 I saw in town that was turquoise. I also came across a '79 242, that I'd love to meet up with sometime. We both gave each other the thumbs up and chatted briefly at a stop light.

Photos from test drive:

First weekend with her:

What she looks like now:

What do you think?

Last edited by BMWgiant; 03-18-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! A blast from the past.