New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New member with a broad question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New member with a broad question

Hello,
I am new to the forum and considering the purchase of a used Volvo. I really don't know much about them but here are my impressions:
1) They seem to be a well designed high-mileage vehicles. Good for 150,000 miles+.
2) The bodies seem to be well protected against corrosion. (I live in the northeast.) I can't say that I've seen any with rust out.
3) Excellent crash rating.

Is the above correct? Is there any drivetrain combination to stay away from? How easy are they to maintain? I like to do my own work whenever possible.

I like the XC70 Cross Country. Also like the S60 AWD. Not really set on any one model but AWD would be great.

Thanks for your time.

Jack

Old 03-02-2014, 01:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Suggest you post in the appropriate forum section (e.g. S60 section).

Personally I'm a big fan of the 850 line up to MY 98. Lots of DIYer's here on those cars.

IMO I would avoid MYs '99-2004. High break down rate from what I've seen and read about. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the information gdog. I appreciate the advice.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Default New owner and loving it

I just picked up my Volvo xc90 yesterday and the joy I felt when I first sat in it was magnified. I feel like I am home. It is a 2003 with 109+ miles and drives like a dream. Due to my knee conditions I needed a vehicle that I could get on and out of with not having to bend my knees and leg room that would lessen the discomfort of driving. I found that in this vehicle. Blooragard, which is his name (dark blue in color), I know will give me years of driving comfort. Anyone who is looking to purchase a Volvo should.

Attached Thumbnails New member with a broad question-image.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO the generalities you mention are correct. With 30+ years in and around the car business I have observed some general principles that make Volvo's, as well as other well made higher end cars a much better used car bet than domestics and low end imports. Higher end cars are typically purchased by people with the means to maintain them and while the average ownership time is only 3 years they are typically resold to slightly more budget conscious, but still appearance conscious owners, also with the means to maintain them. So if you are buying this type of car from the first or second owner it has typically been maintained within reason giving it a better chance of still having a lot of good miles left. Most mainstream domestics and low end imports are purchased by people that can barely afford a car period, and view maintenance expense as an unaffordable luxury, so by the time they get to 100K miles or 5+ years they are toast or getting close, but even a well maintained lower end car feels completely different at 100K versus a Volvo, Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, etc. And since a Cadillac or Lincoln is a GM or Ford basic platform with the luxury touches added they are not a good bet at 100K either. Just some observations...

Old 03-04-2014, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the response gayren67 and pkrface. I'll see what I find!

Old 03-05-2014, 01:05 AM

I've had an 850 sedan and a v70 wagon. I have loved both. They are sturdy as can be...however, with both, I had a small thing go wrong and it was quickly followed by other small things...like with my 850 the fan relay went out followed by the power windows...completely unrelated, but it seems when they start to go, they start to go. With my v70, I hit a sign (don't ask) and no bumper or body damage, but soon after the ignition cyclinder went out (key is stuck in it) and then my door light won't go off unless I slam the door. Small things...but things none the less.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dodge guy we have 5 Volvos in our family and I will say the best one is the xc70. I live in the NE as well (Maine). Also have two s60's one awd and one fwd. both great cars and just to set you at ease with fwd in the winter its a beast. The 2001 fwd s60 is my sons car and we picked it up with a lot of issues. ETM was jumping, PCV was blowing, we had to chase engine lights, replace engine & Transmission mounts, we did ALL hoses, timing belt, water pump and pulleys. Then popped in a few after market hop ups like the IPD silicone turbo hoses, ipd boost valve, and a few other tricks....Let me tell you this fwd s60 is a pleasure to drive and ride in, even in the harshest conditions.

Just wanted to confirm your thoughts ...yes Volvo is IMHO is hands down the best winter car for us up here in the NE ...unless you happen to like rust....lol

Old 03-05-2014, 06:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here check this out , this winter we had a nice storm rolling up on us so we decided to test out the fwd in some deep snow, we parked our cars in the back of the yard in a grassy area so that digging down to pavement was not and option. We waited for all the snow to fall just to see if this fwd could hang with the big boys.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202529322970344