New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New Member from North Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member from North Carolina

Greetings!

New member from North Carolina here. Just bought a really nice 89 240 DL wagon. Great car - but with some strange quirks.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:36 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds a sweet purchase for you, congratulations! We love pics here, share some.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go!

Oh! Another neat feature on the vehicle that we just discovered: adjustable air shocks. Heilig Ko! (Pardon my Swedish).

I had a friend of mine in Stockholm track down the plate on the front of the car (I have the Swedish rear plate too) and the vin # and apparently it was originally owned by a US Diplomat in Sweden, who had the car shipped to the US in 2014 and Volvo did a couple of minor modifications so it met US requirements involving private imports. Everything in the car is in Swedish. Very cool.

I checked with a mechanic here that works specifically on imports and asked him about the error codes and he said given the fact that you can clear the codes and they only come back as described in first post in this thread, the solution is to first check the associated wiring on the O2 sensor and the O2 sensor itself, and check the wiring harness/connector on the TPS. If that doesn't solve the problem with the check engine light, he said to just replace the O2 sensor and the TPS. No big deal and fairly cheap (I can get both parts for about $50 each).

The thing that puzzled the mechanic was that despite the error codes, it is averaging 27 mpg or more at times. Even better on the Highway.

The engine is not slappy at all, but the injectors are fairly noisy and the exhaust manifold needed to be re-torqued which quieted the whole affair down quite a bit. Compression is within specs and the valve lash/timing is spot on to specs. The rubber on the hushers is a bit perished, but that is no biggie to fix and is largely cosmetic in terms of just being noisy.

I changed the oil over to 15W-30 for the summer because it gets hotter than three Hells in my neck of the woods in summer and that alone literally quieted the valve train down in a flash (we get up to about 100°-110° in my part of North Carolina when summer gets going).

All in all, my wife and I are tickled pink at what a nicely designed automobile this is and how tight the steering and transmission is (225K miles and counting). The previous owner (who got the car from a dealer a couple of years ago) was correct in his assumption that this car was well maintained. Even the mechanic I went to said it was a steal for what I paid ($1200, brand new Continental tyres and all). Pardon my British/Australian Orthography and spelling. Spent too much time in the UK, Oz and Canada and the Orthography became ingrained.

The exterior is pristine (other than a couple of minor dings you have to actually look for to see. The interior is perfect). Everything works on it.

The engine mechanical is delightfully simple as is the design of the ECU, and, if one was crazy enough to try it, can be retrofitted for mechanical carb and ignition.

Oh! And the car is politically incorrect because it has an ashtray and lighter!

By the way, I'm a real Luddite and resent the unnecessary application of high technology.