New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New Volvo Owner with an 850 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Volvo Owner with an 850 Turbo

Hello everyone! My name is Travys, I live in Washington state at McChord Air Force Base and I recently bought a 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo. I only paid $1,940 for it and I wasn't expecting much but it's been amazing! I love everything about it. I am an avid car photographer and I'm hoping once I get some free time and the weather is nice to take some nice pictures of it. All I have right now is this one:

I'm hoping to learn a lot from this forum and maybe shoot some pics of other volvos around this area.

PS: Her name is Alma haha

Old 05-30-2011, 11:35 AM

Hey that's a nice looking car.Welcome here and do share if you need any help.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Welcome to VF. Very nice looking 850, really like the yellow lights.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Unhappy

Thanks everyone! I had to take get rid of the yellow lights this week. I got pulled over and apparently it's illegal and worth $124 in fines! Luckily the officer recognized I was military and left me off. I told him I tried to find the law online and it said nothing about headlight colors so he looked it up and it's a "Washington Administrative Code" so he wrote it down for me. Thankfully, the film was only $15 but I miss it already haha!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the coppers don't like the yellow headlights too much. Lol.
You take any more pictures of the car over the summer?

Old 11-04-2011, 10:45 AM

I only took a few and they're not the greatest. I have yet to take an actual shoot of it but ihaven't had time, nor have a found a fitting location. Here imare two of them.

Name:  3y8rj.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  89.1 KB
Name:  EeQmt.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  24.0 KB

Old 11-04-2011, 12:59 PM

Too bad about your lights, those were cool. That was a good price, how many miles are on it, and what is the trim? Is it a GLT?

Old 11-04-2011, 01:13 PM

It had about 175,xxx when i bought it and its a Turbo. I've put almost 15,000 since I bought it in Feb.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:16 PM

850's are fun cars, and I like those badges! What do you do for the Air Force? Is that your Mini?

Old 11-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to tell in the pics, but do you have fogs??
A lot of the guys on SS and VS will do yellow HID fogs. Do that and some blueish HID headlights, that combo looks really good.

You have any plans on modding it? The Columbas look great in black too...

Old 11-04-2011, 10:40 PM

Yea they are tons of fun! My favorite car I've owned so far. Right now I'm in Air Force limbo, which means I don't have a "real" job. I was a C17 Loadmaster but I can't fly due to medical issues, so here I am. Haha and it's my wifes old mini. It died so we sold it.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:49 PM

Bummer, were you ever flying? or have you always had your medical issue? The 850 was my introduction to Volvo, my latest is a '99 V70 T-5 and I never thought a wagon could be so responsive. Did those badges come with the car? If, not, where did you get those?

Old 11-04-2011, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Matt
Hard to tell in the pics, but do you have fogs??
A lot of the guys on SS and VS will do yellow HID fogs. Do that and some blueish HID headlights, that combo looks really good.

You have any plans on modding it? The Columbas look great in black too...
I have one fog light haha the other one was missing when I bought the car. I was planning on eventually replacing it but it's not a high priority. And I've seen that combo before and it looks really slick! The Bluish HID's on these cars look amazing.

I've wanted to mod this thing since the day I bought it but I've got no money to do so. The one thing I will gladly save up for is a manual swap. My wife and I would both die for this car to be a manual. I've never owned an automatic since I first got out of driver's ed back in 2001...
But if I had enough money to do what I wanted, I would rip it apart and make it a street legal track monster. Yea it's FWD but I don't care. I want the IPD stage III set and everything else I can imagine. Also, I would really like a set of the Matte black Pegasus replicas. :X

Originally Posted by SVolvoD4
Bummer, were you ever flying? or have you always had your medical issue? The 850 was my introduction to Volvo, my latest is a '99 V70 T-5 and I never thought a wagon could be so responsive. Did those badges come with the car? If, not, where did you get those?
I did fly for a while. i went throw one flying deployment so I got to fly into Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Siberia, etc etc. It was fun, but it's definitely not a job for a person with a wife and newborn at home. My medical issue came up after the deployment so I haven't flown since then. I though the V70R was really awesome when I first saw and was looking for something like that for a while but they were all out of my price range. I believe it though, wagons aren't to be messed with, especially when there's a T-5 or R on the back of it.

I'm assuming you're talking about the faux Ferrari badges. I got those almost immediately after I bought the car haha! I found them online at this site:

Volvo Prancing Moose Stickers

There are a ton of different options. I just bought the two on the side and one for the grill. Everyone is 50/50 on them. Either they think it's funny and awesome, or they're confused and think it's stupid. I just come up with stupid stories when people ask me what it is.

"What's with the fake Ferrari sticker?"
"What do you mean?"
"You put a Ferrari Moose sticker on a Volvo..."
"This isn't a Ferrari?!"
/bad joke

Last edited by das8track; 11-04-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:10 AM

Sorry to hear you are unable to anymore, glad you are closer to your family. That stage 3 set and a a manual tranny would be killer, I wish I had the time and money for a swap. Ha I don't understand how anyone can not think those stickers are great. There are so many options.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:28 PM

Sorry I've been MiA. Ive been having technical difficulties with everything. First, while changing the spark plugs in the 850, I busted one of the fuel injectors and now it leaks gas when it's on. Second, my stupid cat knocked over a very large plastic cup of water of my powered up macbook and now that's fried... my luck is great! Now I'm broke and can't fix anything until Monday! At least I got modern warfare 3 to pass the time, ooh, and that homework thing too :I

Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 PM

oh yeah, that homework thing too...What are you going to school for?

Old 11-11-2011, 04:37 PM

Right now I'm in the Space Studies program at AMU, but I'm 3 credits shy of a BA in digital art and design. No money so I enlisted, and no design jobs so I changed my interests a little.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:40 PM

Space is cool, what are you hoping to do with your degree?

Old 11-13-2011, 02:54 AM

What I would really enjoy doing is teaching at a university like University of Arizona and doing research on the side. It sounds low key but thats what I want haha

Quick Reply: New Volvo Owner with an 850 Turbo