New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

New To The World of Volvo

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To The World of Volvo

Well, somewhat. My dad had owned a couple in the past, ('94 940 Turbo, 240 DL) but I never have. I just wanted to introduce myself and provide you all the with the requisite welcome thread and give you some info.

Anyway, I just plunked down a deposit on what I would consider to be a pretty clean '98 S70 T5. It's white with a tan leather interior. It could use a good scrubbing, but it's all there and it all works. Car drives nice and has good power. No delayed shifts from the trans (yes, it's autotragic). It has just over 94k on it.

Car had been sitting for quite some time and when I cranked her over it made a little noise once it fired. It sounded like nothing more than a dry start. I'm going to make sure I change the oil & filter and start checking things off that "Stage 0" list I've been reading up on.

Quick question to get me started....I come from the Subaru world (the land of spun mains) and our cars can be pretty picky about the oil they use. My car loved Shell Rotella T6 5w40 diesel oil. I like the oil and was curious as to if it could be used in this car? Or if any of you had any experience with it? Or should I just stick with a full synthetic 10w30? I'll continue to search in the meantime....

Link to the car's ad . . . http://www.empireonthebay.com/vehicl...bster-ny.shtml

Last edited by Piratemosh666; 09-02-2014 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Forgot Link
Old 09-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Looks like a very nice car. It's time for the timing belt to be replaced, you may want to consider that when finalizing a price. If you do it yourself, no big deal, if not, it will cost you $700+.

Turbo = full synthetic oil in my opinion.

Add replacing the heater core if you have no recent history of it being changed.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:39 AM

Hi, yourself and thanks.

So, you think the timing belt should be done again? Sticker on the electrical box near the timing cover says it was last done at 63k on 1/'06. I was wondering if it needed to be done again. . .

A heater core? Really?? I'm not tackling that job. Any ideas on what labor rates run? Seems to me like these cars are quite a bit more finicky than the Subaru I have.

I find myself with a little bit of buyer's remorse. Maybe I should go back and see if my salesman will do a deal with me on the '05 S60 T5 AWD he's got on the lot......

Old 09-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The owners manual states that the timing belt should be replaced every 7 years or 70,000 miles. You are at 8 years. Your call, it may last longer.

As for the heater core, they destroy more of these cars than all other issues combined. It's a 30 minute job with a $40 core. If you pay to have it done, from what I have read, people usually get gouged for about $700.

May not be a bad idea to try to trade it in if you don't turn your own wrenches. Now the '05 S60 is getting to the age where it will be needing lots of work soon.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:03 PM

I do turn my own. It's just a matter of me getting time to do it. I got a quote for labor to do the timing belt service in case I need it done right away and it was $160 + the cost of the kit including the water pump. I don't think that's too shabby.

I also found a source for Man oil filters, but I have a question. If the only reason for using the Volvo/Man filters is for the anti drain back valve, can't I just use a NAPA Gold filter? They use an anti drain back valve and have been all I have ever used on my previous cars.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:51 AM

I've been driving the car now for a week or so. Finally had a chance to get it up on a lift at work and give it the once over. It is shockingly clean and looks like at one point had some rust proofing done. No rot. Period. I did notice that it needs a few items, so I got online and spent some money.

So far I've bought a new heater core, a new A/C accumulator, rear pads and rotors, and both outer CV boots are blown wide open. I'm just going to put some shafts in as well as new seals. After that, it'll get a timing belt service and PCV system service, then I'll probably start buying the few small trim items it needs. After that, I'll try to figure out why the fog lights aren't working, then it's upgrade time! I've been spending too much time on IPDs website....