New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

No Owners Manual!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 11:50 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default No Owners Manual!?!

Just got our first Volvo, a 2022 XC60 Recharge Extended Range. Took for 1,500 road trip to see grandkids. Outstanding vehicle. Smooth ride, comfortable, VERY fast, etc. Love the ability to use electric around town or when we hit traffic jams on our trip. Happy with our purchase, but have to get one thing off my chest and don’t know where else to do it. I’m 71 years old and will readily confess that while my technology skills aren’t terrific, I am NOT computer illiterate. I am beyond annoyed that Volvo does not provide (or as I find out, even have) a complete written owners manual for this vehicle. I don’t care how many pages it would be or how “environmentally friendly” Volvo thinks it is by skimping on this. I called customer service and was told it is not available. A 2021 is but will cost $100 and might not be useful because it has a different “interface” is what they said. I doubt it’d be that different but I have to buy it! It is ridiculous to spend this kind of money, get a “selected” topic owners manual that’s mostly about how to install child seats, and have to go through umpteen online screens to see if the poorly described topics they do list actually has the information you want. The online version is mediocre at best. You can’t access it in the car while you’re driving (which is fine if you’re alone, but how about your passenger??). And on our cross country trips which we take frequently, we are in areas where cell service is spotty or nonexistent so your phone won’t help. The search function was not functioning for the first week of our ownership (and yes, I know how to search, but when I’d put in things like “Homelink”, “TPMS”, or even “seats”, I’d get an “Oops, we don’t have anything” response). It started to work lately. The general table of contents they give you is just ok, but still too basic to be of big help. But what about an INDEX where you can look at every topic and not have to rely on some computer picking out a few topics to consider based on your guess of which buzzword might unlock the secrets to the kingdom. I’ve looked for video tutorials but haven’t seen any of note. I doubt I’m the only one who misses a good old fashioned written document to hold in your hands. I’ve talked with my salesperson who was great in buying the car, but has not been particularly helpful in addressing this issue. Sorry for my venting.

Old 06-05-2022, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

You are correct, the owners manual is not available (yet?) in print. My guess is there are three reasons 1) online versions can be updated 2) online versions can include videos 3) cost savings (kind of nit but probably some bean counter had their way...) 4) 99% have access to a computer or phone to view the manual. There's not a direct PDF export link - but that's probably due to the size of the full object.

SO a couple things to do.

1) book mark the online version

https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/supp...hybrid/2021w22

2) open a particular section in your browser. Do a right mouse click and select "Save As". This will copy the section to your PC's hard drive for viewing off-line. I suppose you can print it this way as well (assuming you got lots of ink and paper in your printer... Its close to 700 pages.)

Not ideal, but at least you'll have something to use when you need it.

Old 06-05-2022, 08:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the good suggestions. I did bookmark it from the get-go and printed out selected sections before our inaugural trip, which themselves still seem inadequate. As you pointed out it’s better than nothing, but far short of a compete manual in my opinion. I wonder if any other manufacturers have eliminated written manuals. I know I’m not in Volvo’s key demographic anymore, but it sure seems that dropped the ball on this. Can’t imagine there aren’t plenty of buyers, young and old, finding this unnecessarily irritating. I’ve owned a lot of cars and motorcycles in my life and know after a short while I’m not looking at the owners manual often. But the added technology raises additional questions at least at the beginning and to me the online “manual” is not user friendly. Oh well, from now on when I buy a new car I have to first ask if it has a written owners manual!!

Old 06-06-2022, 05:35 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It is now clear why Volvo has such good seats. Considering the above and adding the Google decision, the seats are the part of the car that is most clearly seen by the "leadership." I'm in the process of replacing my 5th Volvo. I have not nor will not bother to look at the current crop.