New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Not sure I'm cool enough, but registering and saying hello, anyway

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not sure I'm cool enough, but registering and saying hello, anyway

Hi, everyone. I know almost nothing about cars (or trucks, SUVs, etc., for that matter), so I've headed here in search of info about Volvos ever since I was making the decision to buy my first one back in 2009.

I wound up getting a 2006 XC90, and, even though I know it's not the most popular Volvo on here, I loved it from the moment I first drove it. Unfortunately, I didn't do right by it. I feel terrible. I left it in the hands of a niece for two years and didn't check in enough, evidently, because it's been suffering ever since and was recently (finally) diagnosed with a blown head gasket. (I thought this was the problem soon after I started driving it again, in part based on what I read here. My mechanic kept telling me I was being a nervous nellie, though, and that it just needed one more repair before it would be running perfectly. Sigh. I guess the bi-monthly service appointments are over for a while, at least).

Unfortunately, I've spent so much money on it already, and I'm so poor to begin with, that I can't afford the $3000-$3500 it would cost to replace the head gasket. After spending weeks in denial, I've finally accepted that my only option at the moment is to trade it in and use the proceeds to purchase a Volvo that actually runs. My heart's still breaking.

So. I'm haunting the forums again, this time in an effort to decide which old Volvo to go with.

I always feel rather guilty benefitting from all the expertise here since I have so little to offer in return, so I keep lurking and then leaving. I'm a good student, though, and I know more than I did a few years ago, at least, so I've decided to go ahead and become legit. Hope you'll bear with me if (or, when) I say/ask something silly or obvious.

And, thanks, by the way, to all of you for sharing so much information and experience on here. It's been such an incredible help...and also produced a devoted Volvo fan.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:13 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi and don't be shy.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello and welcome to the forums.