New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Volvo 960 Executive owner needs help, support, advice and lots of understanding

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 960 Executive owner needs help, support, advice and lots of understanding

Hi everyone! I arrived in Marrakech, Morocco a year ago and was looking for a second-hand car. If anyone’s ever been to North Africa, you’ll know that this is quite a challenge. After having been offered the umpteenth car in bad conditions at the most atrocious price, I fell in love…

A second-hand dealer had a 1997 Volvo 960 Executive parked in his lot. He wasn’t even keen on showing it to me as he couldn’t really move it. Interior conditions were almost pristine and the engine the 3.0L 6-Cyl. 24V purred like a baby. With 64’000km on the clock it looked like new and the price was fairly low compared to other vehicles I’d seen before. Unfortunately I couldn’t do a full checkup (Volvo has no official representation here in Marrakech; in fact the only one in Morocco is in Casablanca, 230km away from here…). I did my best and noticed that overall things looked good.

Then I realized why it was cheap. He couldn’t manage to sell it here for a few reasons. Due to its horsepower, any taxes or insurances related to this car are about four times as expensive as any other car usually being sold here. And then there’s its fuel consumption. Hovering around 14L/100km in city usage. And then there’s the fact that Volvo parts here are about as rare as an ice machine in the desert…

I have had my fair share of problems (currently battling with an engine choking problem which has resulted in my lamba sensor going off on me) and am always going to extreme to find parts (often bought and flown in with friends from Switzerland). However, I am still in love with this car and have made it not only my project but my goal to get it back to new.

Given the 960/S90 denominations for the model, it’s not always clear to get an idea of the parts needed. I just ordered air filter, fuel filter and timing belt only to have my mechanic call me back to inform me that I ordered the wrong timing belt (148 teeth, 23mm as per a parts supplier’s online specifications for the 960 while I in fact need a 152 teeth, 28mm timing belt as I later found under S90 specs…).

I thought that adhering to this forum would maybe be a good step to get some help or at least moral support with my continuing challenges.

Pictures to follow, I promise!