Volvo s40 - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:14 PM

Angry Volvo s40

I'm new i own a 2006 Volvo last night on my way home my cars heating system started blowing out cold air, then oil light come on ,then engine shut off..i was stranded for 6 hours before i could get help, also when the engine cooled it started up and run for a bit. wa afraid to continue. any ideas its a at shop now.
thank you in advance
Old 01-11-2018, 08:31 PM

first things first. Oil light coming on is a definite don't drive. Cause could be low oil level (need to see if its leaking, burning etc), could be a oil pump gone bad or clogged pick up or could be a bad sensor/wiring. The no heat issue could be a HVAC issue (ie the blend doors closed off the air) or that you lost a bunch of coolant, and while the engine overheated to stall, there wasn't enough coolant to push through the heater core. Could also be electrical - ie bad alternator/low system voltage can create all sorts of odd symptoms prior to the engine dying. I'd be leaning towards a loss of coolant or some form of electrical issue.