New Members Area Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself.

Volvo TEM questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo TEM questions

After carefully researching the 2022 XC series I thought I had a line on every possible issue. However, when we got the car home and tried setting up the Volvo App, ultimately engaging tech support and going through a Factory Reset on the Volvo's internal computer, we found that the dealership had not awakened the TEM. There's presently no way to do this at home. If the TEM goes to sleep, only the dealer can wake it up.

Volvo Support advised that the TEM requires that the car be started up and run for some length of time every five days. Otherwise it will go to sleep and require a trip to the dealer to re-awaken. I imagine that the next time this happens the dealer will bang us for this -- at $199 per hour.

So If I don't drive my car every five days, I'll be driving to the dealership and paying at least $199.00, in addition to the time I have to spend on this, which is significant.

How long do I have to run the motor to maintain the TEM?

If I don't take care of the TEM, I won't be able to use the Remote Start feature, a significant loss considering the price of the car. What other features would I lose?

Is there any other way to handle this? Is Volvo planning a better way?

A typical computer has a motherboard battery that generally does not need to be replaced, or if it does, only after 5 - 7 years. Can Volvo include this in their tech?

If we go on vacation for 1 - 2 - 3 weeks, will I need to stack calendar reminders every four days to boot the car remotely and let it run for 15 minutes? Will I have to remember to fill the gas tank before I leave?

Gotta say, I just don't get it. Had I been aware of this, it probably would have steered me to another brand of car.

All comments welcome, thanks.