General Volvo Chat Post Your Questions And Comments on any of Volvo's many models.

Anyone out there "hacked" the dealer lockout on a volvo computer???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 03:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone out there "hacked" the dealer lockout on a volvo computer???

I'm curious is some genuis or former tech has found some way tocrack into or "trick" a factory volvo computer that it's being serviced by a dealer. My biggest issue is when the car needs to be diagnosed or there is a computer issue, I'm locked out and yet again 8 years after Volvo sold this car this is still their way of forcing you to come into the dealer.

This would really save some headache for me, especially because 99 percent of the time I know what is wrong and could repair it, but the blasted computer won't let me know what is acting up because certain functions are dealer only serviced. That and the nearest volvo dealer is an hour away. No dealer or independent volvo mechanics in my area.

I have a program on my laptop and a PC to OBDII connector that bascially tells me everything there is to know about my car's computer. But like I say, almost 3/4ths of it is on a dealer lockout.

Worst case scenario, a local do-it-all shop could actually work on it for once.

Just curious. Mabye it's already been done or discussed before, but I thought I'd ask because I'm curious.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:45 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Anyone out there "hacked" the dealer lockout on a Volvo computer???

Hello Helga,

I've talked to my respected technician in Rutland, Vermont (Jim's Imported Car Clinic). Jim told me that Volvo's diagnostic system has become so complex in the last couple of yearsthat non-dealer shops can no longer touch it without a $20,000 equipment.

My guess is that the data transmission protocol has to match in order to access the diagnostic, but I am not an IT geniushowever Axel of Argentina may know something. Or, you could take some courses at local college's computer science dept andlearn different protocols.

JPN

Old 03-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone out there "hacked" the dealer lockout on a Volvo computer???

ORIGINAL: JPN

Hello Helga,

I've talked to my respected technician in Rutland, Vermont (Jim's Imported Car Clinic). Jim told me that Volvo's diagnostic system has become so complex in the last couple of yearsthat non-dealer shops can no longer touch it without a $20,000 equipment.

My guess is that the data transmission protocol has to match in order to access the diagnostic, but I am not an IT geniushowever Axel of Argentina may know something. Or, you could take some courses at local college's computer science dept andlearn different protocols.

JPN

Good info, but the car in question is 8 years old.