Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

best spot to go for s70 reman turbo?, experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best spot to go for s70 reman turbo?, experiences?

Hows it going everyone. I just picked up a 98 S70 GLT off my dad, got it for 1800 bucks when he slid it into a curb and bent the front subframe and c/arm. Hung all that good stuff and the wife took over driving it. The car is mint condition black with black leather and fully optioned. This is our first Volvo and we fell in love with it instantly (considering looking for a 5spd T5 or S60R soon because of it). I have always serviced this car and know everything is up to date. I dont want to go nuts with this one being an auto but at the same time I want to get it running like it should. The car is a dog (feels like it is pushing 0 psi). Just picked up a boost gauge just gotta throw it in to see what it is doing.I am very familiar with turbo setups and am deff. leaning toward a turbo issue.

With that out of the way I just wanted to ask what experiences people had with different turbo remanufacturers? Which way should I go? Ebay? Good used turbo? The car has 140k on it and I am used to Subaru turbos being ready for the grave between 80-100k. So I am looking to replace it also as more of a maintnence item also. And I know I should search for this but while I am here what model turbo do I have?

S70driver I see your responses on most of the posts and you live in PA. What part of PA do you live? I live in Allentown. Would you be interested in driving it and lending an opinion? Will come to you and offer cash for your time!

Old 06-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: best spot to go for s70 reman turbo?, experiences?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The turbo your Volvo is running is a 13g made by Mitsubishi. I would suggest locating the same turbo from somewhere unless you want to upgrade yours to a 16T however if you do this your going to want to do an ECU upgrade to take full advantage of the 16T turbo. Also you may or may not need a new downpipe with doing the 16T upgrade. I know you said you don't want to dump a lot of money into this so finding a used or new 13g unit would be more beneficial to you most likely.

I wouldn't look on EBAY. Because you truly don't know if it is the real deal or some knock off. There are turbo rebuilder places and also places you can pick up brand new turbos from including the dealership. However other then the dealership I cannot think of any right now.

Get that boost gauge hooked up ASAP and report on here in this thread what your boosting to and what your vaccum is. You should be boosting between 5-7 PSI. Seems low I know but it is a tiny 13g turbo and the max you want to run on a turbo like this is 15PSI. Your vaccum at idle should be between 17-21 In Hg.

I live in York which is a pretty long drive for you.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:35 AM

What type of boost is safe to run daily with the stock setup and a good stock turbo, and also what type of boost controllers do most people use? Just a little in line dial type?

Old 06-02-2007, 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: xrturbo

What type of boost is safe to run daily with the stock setup and a good stock turbo, and also what type of boost controllers do most people use? Just a little in line dial type?
What your boosting now is "safe" on a daily basis.

If you want to raise your boost get a Manual Boost Controller (MBC). Do not cheap out on this I suggest getting a Dual Stage MBC like Dawes Device brand. I believe you can set a low amount of boost in one setting an a higher amount in another setting. I wouldn't go over 15PSI and since you have a boost gauge you will be able to tell if you turned the boost up too high or too low. I would run maybe 10-12 PSI. You will feel the difference.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:33 AM

Ok, got a pillar podfrom gaugepod.com (fit great with a little trimming), and couldn't sleep at 3 this morning so I went out to the garage and hooked it all up.Since my last post Iactually got some free time to start poking around the engine bay and found the elbow that goes to the factoryBOV was hanging by a thread of the hose. Temporarily I cut it short and slipped it back on and took it for a run. It felt a little better and then after about the third time of finally building boost in how long, I heard a whoosh under boost and knew I obviously developed a large boost leak. Took itback tomywork and saw the lower intercooler hose had a tear in it. Luckily it was close to the slip on portion of the upper pipe so I was able to cut an inch off of it and slipped it back on. So nowwith that all said and done I am making4 PSI, which deff feels better than 0PSI. I am gonna try to go over all of the vacuum lines this week and I am gonna order a Samco hose kit. My Vac.on the gauge read around 20 (I think).

Before I order mySamco kit I was wandering on the best found deal for that as well. And also anyone here run the kit with the slip inBOV? I am not going to mod it heavy and only plan on turning the boost up to 10-12once everything is taken care of. I was just concerned about it popping outunder boost.

Alsoanyone have an idea of what type of power would be developed on a stock setup around 12PSI?

Old 06-09-2007, 09:29 AM

Replace all vaccum line and turbo hoses NOW. Fix that boost leak NOW. 4 PSI is still low. 5-7 PSI is normal. Your vaccum is good though.

Best deal on SAMCO's. I would just buy them from Viva Performance. George is a good guy. Also you can get good turbo hoses from Stylin motors as well. I like mine from there.

Everyones car is different someone with the same setup could be making more then you or less then you and vice versa for you. So we can't truly say what you can possibly see. Maybe around 200Hp and 240FT-LBs of torque. I dunno.