Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Ever wonder what happened to your old cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 03:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ever wonder what happened to your old cars?

Well: I'm only 19, so my list is short, and one of them I still own but is in storage until I can finish restoring it:

1.) 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis: 76,000 miles, given to me by my Dad. Was his company car, absolutely hated it. The only thing redeeming about it was it had the mustang 4.6 Ford under the hood and I cut off the factory exhaust and added on some cherry bombs with downturns. It was LOUD. I mean driving along around town it had this really unsanitized hot rodder sound to the engine when I floored it and no exhaust (hehe)It was really good for smoky burnouts, but other thanthat it was an ugly car and I say good riddance.Totaled in June 2006 by illegal immigrant t-boning me and finding out he has no insurance. Still have the car sitting in my backyard,but frame damage is so severe it will never run again.

Just as a side note, it was because of the severity of the accident that my parents bought me a volvo. After that car literally being almost sliced in half with me in it at 60 miles an hour (and me nearly getting killed), they wanted me in a car under 8k that had the highest safety rating they could find. Hence why I'm in the 99 s80 I have now.

2.) 1967 Pontiac GTO: I STILL OWN THIS CAR AND HAVE NO DESIRE TO SELL IT. EVER. Long story short, it orignially...it was my dad's car.But severe illness and cancer forced him to give up onfinishing it off, so he gave it to me.Itwas the first car my dad ever owned and we took the plunge to buy another for him and I to have a fun hobby todo on the weekends.Bought it for 5,200 bucks on ebay as a total midwest rust bucketand spent 2 years with himin high school doing a full frame-off resto mod. Basically this car was a father/son project my dad and I had that literally got me into my obsessions with cars. But then about a year ago he was diagnosed with cancer and was no longer able to work and has been bedridden, so he had to give up on his dream of finishing it off for himself.Just recently, hesigned the title over to me and made me promise him that I'd finish it and enjoy it withmy son if I have one.That's why I'll never sell it. It has too much personal value to me and the memories I have with my dad working on it. And right now I just don't have the money to finish it off, so a family friend is graciously keeping it and the parts that went along with it until I graduate from school, get a steady job, and some side income to finish it to where it can be driven.

And, just right now debating whether I'm going to keep my s80 and leave it alone... or keep it and do a v8 heart transplant with the donor driveline from the grand marquis.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:34 PM

1952 Humber Hawk - good car, had for a number of years.Eventually traded in on Vanguard Spacemaster.
1938 Armstrong Siddely limousine, (pre-selector gear model). Boughtfor a bit of a joke during the periodI had the Humber Hawk. Wished Ikeptit as it would be worth a small fortune now (if only we had the ability tosee into the future).
1956 Vanguard Spacemaster - a beautiful car, but I was always fixing the mongrel thing (it ate crankshaft bearings). Decided to fixit up onelast time andoff-loaditas fast as I could. A friend's brother took the risk and bought it andenjoyedmany years of trouble-free motoring in the rotten thing -grrrr grrrr grrrr
1952 Humber Super Snipe (same sort as Queen Lizzie of England had) - beautiful, silent, quality limo. Owned itfor about 3 years and later sold to mate.
1953 Humber Super Snipe - got as spares car forabove butparts never needed. Later stripped and gradually sold piece by pieceto others.
1956 Humber Super Snipe - completely different model to the two other Snipes listed above. When first bought it was indistinguishable from new and it turned out to be a greatcar. Would have kept it forever, but had to reluctantly sell itprior to moving to Central Africa.
1970 Ford Mk IV Zodiac V6 - daily driver in Zambia, excellent vehicle. Had everything that opened and shut. Sold it prior to returning to Australia, at absolute bargain basement price to a dearAfrican friend who couldn't afford to pay anywhere near the goingmarket value. He thought he was made.
1970Jaguar 3.8limo - got it very cheap andshipped it back to Australia (had a lot of trouble getting it through Customs). Later sold to one of ourson's friends.
1972 Jaguar 420G - bought and sold in Africa . Anice car, but had suspect tranny.
1970? Vanguard Spacemaster -just a hack vehicle used until the Jag arrived from Africa - can't remember what happened to it.
1975 Leyland P76 - an excellent, Australian made carthat punched well above it's weight, passed onto kids andeventually givento workmate.
1974 Chrysler Regal V8 - top of the Chrysler range in Australia. Lovely, powerful, low mileage,one owner car, but very treacherous in the wet - sold to employee.
1982 Holden Commodore V8 - great car that went like a bat-out-of-hell. Sold to young bloke wholater became my son-in-law. It was used as their family caruntilsold about 2 years ago.
1988 Toyota Cressida - fully optioned, lovely car. Gavesilent, trouble free motoring for many years. Eventuallygivento another son-in-law. Later written-off in an accident
1988Volvo 240 GL Station Wagon - bought about 4 years ago - runs like a dream, wife's daily driver.
1995 Volvo 850 T5 Station Wagon - bought about 2 years ago. Great car, my daily driver. I absolutely love this vehicle.
2000 Nissan twin cab 4 door utility - versatile pick-up. Fills in all the awkward transportation spots.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:38 PM

1956 Ford F150 -Found in a field paid $1,200 for itto some old guy in AZwhen I was 12, my Grandfather and I restored it and ended up selling it shortly after completion for $13k

1986 Jeep Cherokee - Threw a rod after one of many 4wd burn outs... took the 6cyl out put V8 in sold to buddy.

1994 GMC Sonoma - Gave it to Dad after I sold the Cherokee since he needed a reliable vehicle... it later blew a head gasket and siezed.

1986 Volkswagen Jetta GLi - Left for the military and my Stepmom had the wreckers come pick it up... it needed a fuel filter, had a new tranny and windshield... tranny was nice spare for Corrado... really pissed me off.

1980 Corvette - My project turned into my Dad's daily driver after his truck died my senior year then he got a new truck and it was garaged when I left for the military. Went home on leave last year to find out myStepmom sold it for$5k to make room for her new Impala in the garage... didn't even get the money.

1990VW Corrado G60 - Still own, had it trailered down to my Grandparents house in CA so my Stepmom wouldn't sell it too, project car for when I get back to the states.

2003 Silverado 1500 Sport - Sold it to get next car.

2000 Audi A6 2.7TQuattro -Sold itbecause it scared the hell out of myWife... now that we're in Germany she wishesshe hadn't made me sell it.

2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor XLS AWD -Sold... too damn big to drive in Germany and gas was rediculous.

1994 Alpha Romeo 133 Quadrafolio - Had the oil pan blow off on the Autobahn doing about 200 kmph...watchedengine systematically blow upduring the 15 min drive to the junk yard... hey it was already done once the pan blew off.

1986 Volkswagen GTI - Sold to a friend.

1983 Porsche 944S - Completely dismantled see: my cardomain page.

1985.5 Porsche 944 - In the process of selling the project to a coworker.

1999 Volvo S80 T6 - The current pain in the ***... but still I love it.

Didn't realize I've owned 14 vehicles... damn... I'm only 23! That explains why I'm broke.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1977 Chrysler Sigma
Used more oil than petrol but it FLEW. Got booked in that far too many times. Had a slow head-on with a Mazda 929. Went to wreckers.

1980 Toyota Corona liftback
Gear box fell out. Literally. left it with the mechanic and never went back for it. Piece of crap!

2002 Fiat Brava
My company car while i was in Dubai. Left it with a colleague when i left. They sold it and i hear that the new owner was driving drunk up the highway REALLY FAST and ran up the back of someone who was pushing their car. Killed him and the Fiat instantly. He's in jail.

1996 Mitsubishi mirage. I had so much fun in this car. So much fun to drive. A bit of rally breeding goes a long way. I miss her. Sold her to a friend.

2000 Volvo V70.
Current car, love her depsite all her failings. What is this spell that Volvos manage to hold us under?

[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-01-2007, 12:37 PM

Ugh... here we go...
1994 Lincoln Mk VIII - Rear ended a tractor trailer.
1997 Mercedes E320 -Backed up into a phone pole... hit it hardenough to bend the rearaxle... the car "hopped"...
1992 Subaru Legacy Turbo - Flipped three times when I (and it) failed to negotiate a turn...
1991 Plymouth Acclaim -(died)
1971 Pontiac LeMans -(sold)
1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28- Thisones sad... it fell off a lift at school.
1995 Eagle Talon ESi -(traded)
1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX -Wrecked by a friend of mine.
1995 Eagle Talon TSi - Still got it... in a garage...
2002 Honda Civic EX- As with a Sloth wielding a butter knife... this car was killed slowly.
2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS - (sold)
2000 Nissan Maxima -(sold)
1998 Volvo V70T5 -Bent the a frame hitting a curb in the snow.
1989(?) Ford Thunderbird TC (impounded and didnt care)
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS -Beat to death
2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT - Still got it at home.
2000 Volvo V70 R AWD - Just got it... itll be just fine.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1995 Honda Civic - 20,000 mi, first car ever. lease ended just as I headed to college
1986 Chevy Caprice - 127,000 mi, beast of a car, POS to say the least. traded to dealer
1993 Honda Accord - 206,000 almost no maintenance. fully loaded. 74 year old cut me off and the car got about 8 inches shorter.
1992 Toyota Camry - 167,000, bought from family, sold it to some jerk out of state. Transmission died on him on the way home. LOL.
1989 Nissan Maxima - 194,000, basic transportation, what an eyesore. still have it.
2001 Volvo S60 - 99,900. lets see how high she goes...

Old 06-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe I never replied to this. I sure thought I did, but I don't see it in the thread. It's hell getting old and not remembering things.

1954 Ford 6 Cyl Stick on the Column - Pretty much a rust bucket piece of crap that got junked. Drove it before I ever got my liscense.

1955 Chevy Sedan Delivery - It was a six cylinder power glide transmission. I rebuild the engine and got it running, but Dadjunked it while I was overseas in the Navy. I was going to make a hot rod out of it. I never really drove it much. Very limited edition vehicle.

1955 Chevy Nomad - Not really mine, but my Dad had this one just before I started driving. He didn't like it because it was a two door station wagon so he got rid of it. Never really knew what we had until years later. Not sure I ever really drove this one or not.

1955 Studebaker Hawk - Again really my Dad's and not mine,but he would blow some people's doors off with this one. It was a Red, White and Blue wagon, but it had the Golden Hawk engine. I know I never drove this one. Just put it on here for the heck of it.

1956 Chevy Four Door Hardtop - This one was the first one I actually drove legally. It was the most rusted out car I have ever owned. Had a 265 four barrel with dual exhaust and power glide transmission. I blew up the engine.

1961 Plymouth Fury Two Door Hardtop- 318 four barrel, single exhaust with push button automatic transmission and a square steering wheel. Some found memories were made in this one! Probably shouldn't go into detail. I blew it up too.

1963 Pontiac Catalina Four Door Sedan -Piece of crap. Great big old car that could barely get out of it's own way. Had a 389 engine but ran like crap. Mom drove it for years after I left for the Navy.

1969 Chevy Malibu - Two door hardtop with a 350 two barrel single exhaust 3 speed Muncie shifter on the floor that would run right with the SS-396. This was the car I bought when I got back from overseas. Man I wish I had this car today. My favorite car up until I started driving the 850 Turbo. A true muscle car that ran way better than it should have. More memories.

1973 Oldsmobile Cutlas - Why I traded my Malibu in on this I will never understand. Actually I broke my arm real badin a motorcycle accident and it hurt to shift the stiff Muncie shifter so I bought an automatic.

1974 Mercury Capri - What the heck happened here? Well I got married, and the wife took the Cutlas and I got her car cause it was a stick and had no A/C. Actually it wasn't a bad car to drive.

1978 Jeep Wagoneer - Firts 4WD vehicle. This was probably the first of the SUV's before they were called SUV's. Lot's of power and great for off road fun. Lots of cosmetic type problems though. Traded the Cutlas in on this and was driven by wife with kids.

1966 Karman Ghia Convertible - Bought just for the heck of it. It was old and rusty and eventually just fell apart. Had to pay a junk yard to come and haul it away.

1982 Subaru GL - Traded the Capri for this one, and I drove the heck out of it for years and never had to do anything to it. Great little economy car that was great for commuting 45 miles one way to work.

1983 Pontiac Bonnevile Station Wagon - Piece of crap like no other. Traded the jeep in on this for no good reason whatsoever.

1985 Volvo 760 Turbo Diesel - Traded that piece of crap from above in on this. Now this was a car. White with red leather interior that would run like crazy and got about 40 mpg on the highway. It was fast too once you got it going. Smoked like crap and would not run goodin the high altitude of Colorado Springs so I sold it when we moved there.

1976 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Bought this just for towing our boat. It was an older vehicle in pretty good shape. Paid $2,000 for it, drove it for two years to tow the boat and then sold it for $2,200.

1982 Ford Econoline Custom Van - Didn't like driving this at all for some reason. Used this to tow boat and sold when we got rid of boat.

1988 Toyota 4Runner - This was the last of the two door models with a V6. Didn't have it long at all.

1989 Volvo 760 Turbo Intercooler - OK car but nothing special. Had problem with A/C all the time. Didn't like the gold color.

1993 Chevy Suburban - Great truck that I drove for 12 years until I just couldn't afford gas for it anymore. I would still have it if it wasn't for gas prices. I drove this one.

1994 Volvo 850 Turbo - Finally a car I can say I liked as well if not better than the Malibu from years before. This was a dark grey with charcoalinterior. Engine went at 206K. I should have put another engine in it, but I got $800 for it with a blown engine. Wife pretty much drove this one. Great Car!

1980 Porsche 911SC - See people tried to tell me the Suburban was a mid-life crisis car. I'm like no way am I driving a Sububan truck as my mid life crisis car. Now a red Porsche 911SC with a five speed transmission you call that whatever you want. Wife never drove this one. Lost my job and had to sell it, or I might still have it.

1998 Volvo V70 GLT - Still have it. Good car not giving any problems. Really bought to replace Suburban.

2000 Nissan Frontier - Good little truck. Just never got driven with Volvo's available to drive so I sold it.

1997 Volvo 850 R - Bought this one when the 94 engine went. Have had many problems with it, but sometimes it runs great. Wife is now driving this one.

1995 Volvo T5R - Just bought it recently because it was there. I sold the Nissan Frontier for more than I paid for this, and it does get driven. This is the one I will probably do some modding to. It runs better than the 97, but I like the looks of the white 97 R better.

Wow 27 cars listed and to be continued

Old 06-08-2007, 11:45 PM

1977 Volkswagon Superbeetle converitible. Picked up chicks, ran great, and only cost about 12 or 15 bucks to fill up with gas. However it was too small, so I sold it to the neighbor and bought

1985 Toyota Landcruiser. This thing was a beast of a vehicle. It went everywhere, regardless of conditions. Really clean, and I did a lot of work to make it just about perfect. However It was slow, and only got about 15mpg at best. With gas over 3 bucks a gallon, I couldn't afford paying over 70 bucks to fill it up. Sold it for just as much as I bought it for, with 210,000 miles on the clock. The very same day I sold it, I went out and bought

1993 Volvo 960 station wagon. This thing is sweet, 155,000 miles on body, and about 75,000 on the engine. Previous owner was a volvo mechanic and took very good care of it. I've had it for about 20,000 miles now, and had to replace the o2 sensor. Eveything else has been perfect. This is a great car, very comfortable to drive between Southern Ca, and Montana (which I've done 4 times now) I can sleep in it, tow my boat, haul tons of people/gear, and so far it has not let me down. Hopefully it'll last till 300,000.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:56 AM

First Car: 1989 VW Vanagon GL Wolfsburg (2002-2003)
The top of the line van (not camper) model in glorious condition. Exactly 24hrs after purchase ($1400), the oil pump failed with my dad driving it and he ran it out of oil and burned it up. Bastard. I called a junkyard to come get it and they agreed to pick it up for free. Shoulda seen the look on the guy's face when he saw he was getting a bare chassis!

1981 VW Vanagon GL ($1000) (2003-2004)
I took out the defunct AC (it's very bad for the air-cooled motors) and put the interior, wheels and locks from the '89 into it. It was pretty nice but had no heat. Sold it for what I paid for it. The guy stripped it and now that interior has been in 3 different vehicles! Last I heard, somebody bought it for the motor/trans and dumped the rest.

1977 VW Campmobile ($1600) (2004-2007)
What I thought I was looking for all along. It was hell to work on and required service incessantly (points ignition, rust/rain leaks in the electricals, solid lifters, impossible exhaust) About a month ago, a driveshaft fell off (literally) in the pouring rain in the Wal-Mart parking lot. I cobbled it back together and sold it to some hippies for $600. Yeah I took a hit on the price, but seeing it make it out of the drive under it's own power was priceless. The kid wants to drive it to Chicago (half-way up IL from here). I expect to find it in a junkyard or on the side of the road very soon.

1991 Volvo 240 Sedan ($650) (2007-????)
New lights from the junkyard, temp gauge fix, and an AC recharge and I'm ready to drive this thing for another 100,000.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:16 PM

Almost all my old cars were sold so I don't know what happend to them. haha

Old 08-18-2007, 06:57 AM

I do wonder about my first car and my last. You'll understand why
after you've read this.

1950 Ford Fordor Sedan- My first car. Flathead V-8 engine, 50k
original miles,originally maroon, the lady that owned it had painted
it Ford light blue. No rust or accidents, the outside was in excellent
condition, the interior was pristine-lady had put seatcovers over
the original upholstery so the seats were mint. The lady that owned
it became too old to drive and sold it to my father for $200.
Got it as a senior in high school and within a few months it qualified
for an antique tag. Everywhere I went middle aged guys would ask
if I wanted to sell it. I tore differential up showing off. Car would
quit at random until we discovered a cloth covered wire in the
disributor that had frayed insulation and car would shimmy badly at
50 mph. Once we were at a bridge way out in the sticks and a friend
had sneaked his father's shotgun out of the house. He shot the metal
guard rail point-blank and the shot richocheted off and peppered my
car leaving little pits everywhere. The metal did not dent and the pits
did not rust significantly. My friend ended up with a couple of pieces
of shot in his leg.
The girl I was dating at the beginning of college didn't like the car.
She kept asking when I was going to get a new car. I finally decided
I wanted a van instead. My father put the Ford up for sale and a
distinguished local businessman answered the newspaper ad. This
was a softspoken refined gentleman that was well known and
respected in the area. He had brought his son, a quiet little fellow
in his early 20's. The man explained that his son had just gotten out
of prison, wanted to "turn his life around", and that he wanted to
puchase the car for his son. "Junior" didn't look like someone that
would cross the street when the light was red.
Anyway he bought the car. A few weeks later I heard on the news
that someone had held up a Post Office in mid afternoon. I guess I
don't have to tell you about the description of the car. There were
only 4 or 5 of these cars on the road out of a few hundred thousand
vehicles in our area. Also the car had a very memorable license tag
number- if you were to choose the 5 most easily remembered numbers
this one would be in the middle of the list.
That wasn't the end of the story. About 12-14 years later (1 prison
term?), a car with 2 state troopers came slowly down my street
looking at all the house numbers. When they got to my house they
passed it, backed up and stopped. One of them called me over to
the car. He told me that he'd seen an old 50 Ford in the area and
wanted to buy one. He wanted to know if I knew of a car like that
in the neighborhood. Of course there had not been a car like that in
our neighborhood for several years, so I wondered what "Junior"
was up to now. Today I really wonder what happened to that car
and what "adventures" it has seen.

1992 Ford Escort hatchback- My last car before the Volvo. 150K
miles, a lot of things on this car didn't work-insrument lights,fuel
guage, radio worked sometimes, fuel tank leak at top,cargo cover
had collapsed,rear bumper was cracked and only anchored on
one side, 8 inch hole in the hood had rusted through. In spite of
all this the car was really reliable. It saved me when I needed
transportation and didn't have anything else.
I wanted to sell it cheap to someone that didn't have any money
and really needed a car. No one believed that I would sell a working
car that cheap. There is a gentleman near my work location that has
been trying to get a car for over 10 years. He is a very hard working,
honest individual that just hasn't had good fortune in his life. Everyone
in the area tries to help him out.
I sold him the car for $1 and transferred the title for him. I drove the
car to his house and left it for him. Code enforcement jumped on him
right away and told him to remove the car because it did not have a
license tag. Code issues prevent me from keeping it at my house
so he had to take it up the street to a garage where he was going to
have some work done on it. It's been 8 months since I sold it to him
and the last time I drove past it was still there. Now I'm wondering
what has happened to it, I'm hoping he hasn't lost it.

I guess one car went to a saint and another to a sinner.

Sorry, this post was way too long, John

Old 08-18-2007, 09:15 AM

1991 Ford Taurus- got into an accident, rather large one. airbags where deployed. I fixed it up and sold it to a guy who wanted a starter car for his son. 800 dollars
1996 Dodge Intrepid- Some claim its my driving, i still hold it was a freak act of god, Ended up as a Car-B-Que on the side of the 408. total loss
1999 OZ Rally Edition Mitsubishi Eclipse- OOOO i loved that car, sold it to a guy from New York, he drove it back up.
2005 Honda Civic- Couldnt stand that car with a passion, sold it to Carmax about a year later
1991 Toyota MR2-I still have it, I do wonder where its gonna go
2004 volvo S60 R-Should be arriving today. hope to have it for a looooong time.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:20 PM

1967 Olds Delta 88 Wecked it and sold it for parts.
1968 Volkswagon bus..Sold to a company that was shipping them to Brazil
1980 Dodge van..Sold for parts
1983 S-10 Blazer..Stored at our vacation house used for hauling stuff to the dump.
1989 Ford f-250.. Use at home for hauling stuff to the dump.
1993 Saturn. Sold to wife's sister who gave it to her kids who wrecked it.
2001 Chevy Silverado. . In use
2002 Volvo S60 traded in for 2007 S60
2007 Volvo S60 Just arrived from Sweden TDS.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:08 AM

So many cars you people have or have had. I'm on my first and hopefully only 122. I wrecked it a year ago and they said it was time to junk it. I showed them!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:56 PM

I found this post while poking around in the off topicsthe other day and found it fun to go through. I thought it mightbe interesting to revive it, andwith some of the newer members from the U.K. having joined recently, toread about some of the makes and modelsthey have driven and have had experiences with.

I found J. Telectro's post from last summer to be interesting as he also talked a bit about the cars and some of their history and so I decided to do the same. It was fun to think back on the various rides I've had growing up and then on into my middle years. It did get a bit long, however. Moderators, if there's a problem with longer postswant me to shorten it up as a result, just P.M. me a note and I'll take out the various experiences and just leave a list. With that, enjoy and comment!!!

1.) ‘63 Chevy II:

My first car, a stripped down Nova inherited from my mom, with a six cylinder and three on the tree. Every once in a while the linkage would stick, usually at a red light and I would have to jump out and manually work the linkage to get it unstuck. I was out with friends and my sister one time and the left rear leaf spring broke, the body fell onto the frame and I ended up driving it home that way!

2.) ‘64 Buick Riviera:

a real creampuff, and it was very fast, with a 425 cu in. nailhead motor and turbo 400 trans. It was one of the fastest stock setup cars in the area. I would like to have another one of these.

3.) ‘66 Pontiac GTO:

I did a lot of engine and driveline work on this car, with parts and technical help from someone who drag raced the same setup semiprofessionally. With 4:88 gears in the rear end this car literally jumped off the line, but with horrible gas mileage. My older brother trashed it while I was out of town for work by taking it out (against my instructions and wishes), and took it up on the freeway, overreved the motor which floated the valvetrain and trashed one or more valves. I sold it shortly thereafter just to get rid of it though I am so sorry that car is gone. It had a Ram Air IV motor in it when I bought it, and I heard recently those motors alone command upwards of $20K now!

4.) ‘62 Chevy Biscayne:

a real heap I got for $50 and thought about restoring. It was a faded white color and the previous owner had painted wide orange pinstripes along every body crease and line. It looked like it belonged in the circus and everyone who saw me on the road laughed at it! Needless to say I didn't drive it too much, lol. I sold it for $60 a few months later having done nothing but sand and prime the right front fender.

5.) ‘73 Plymouth Fury III:

A real poorly built car with a 360 cu. in. Chrysler motor. Bought for basic transportation to and from work and school. Sold it to my brother by having him take over the payments. He didn’t make the payments (and is when I learned my lesson about not trusting family in money matters) and he then trashed the entire right side of the car on his way to returning it to me since I was taking back the payments and the car.

6.) ‘76 Chrysler Cordoba:

triple black with a landau vinyl top and black velour interior (sorry, no Corinthian leather, for those who remember the commercial with Ricardo Montalban…) Again with a 360 cu. in. Chrysler motor, this car was a real looker, and performed flawlessly for me during many trips across Ohio from Cincinnati to Cleveland and back to visit my family and (primarily) my girlfriend. I remember driving this car back home to Cleveland from a company training class in Boston and made it in nine hours flat, including two gas stops. It was usually a 12 hour trip, and I recall we (there was a coworker following me in a Pontiac Sunbird) drove the entire New York thru-way in just over five hours. There had been no traffic and we averaged something like 100 mph the entire thruway. The toll taker in Buffalo couldn’t believe the timestamp when I gave him the ticket! I ended up giving this car to my mom when I got my next vehicle (a company car). It was still in near perfect shape when I gave it to her, and she proudly drove that car for another 10 years or so.

7.) ‘80 Buick Century:

my first company car, and a real shoddy piece of GM and Detroit manufacturing. I was in a car accident down inCincinnati and was hit by three other cars. The insurance adjuster’s first question was whether all the damage had occurred at one time, as the right rear, right center, right front, trunk lid, hood and roof all had some damage or were buckled. Unbelievably, insurancepaid to have that car fixed. Some time later I was broadsided on the drivers side by a Buick which caved in both left doors, the B pillar and front fender. It was fixed yet again and I think it had more bondo than metal when I turned it in for my next car:

8.) ‘83 Ford LTD II:

More Detroit junk and nothing memorable about this car.

9.)‘86 Pontiac Grand Am:

Better than the LTD II but still nothing to brag about. Returning to the office from lunch one day a guy in a pickup truck pulled out of a parking lot directly in front of me.I slammed into him doing about 35 mph and never so much as touched the brake. I went up and over the steering wheel and kissed the windshield. My passenger’s neck snapped backwards as his head went forward, and his nose got shmooshed against the sun visor as he pitched forward. Hisnose left a streak of skin on the visor and he ended up with rug burn on his nose! When I got out of the car the tan slacks around my left knee were red. I first thought it might be blood but rolled up my pant leg and there were no open wounds, just a bruise. The impact transferred the color from the dashboard plastic which happened to be red, onto my pants. I couldn't believe my knee hit the dash that hard. Since that day I have religiously worn a seat belt every time I get into a car now after having kissed that windshield!

10) ‘87 Oldsmobile Delta 88:

My first brand-new car! Bright red with a red velour interior and a 3.8 liter motor. It was in the showroom and I was allowed to drive it out of the building…woo hoo was I on top of the world that day! My wife ended up driving that car as her daily driver when I got another company car a couple of years later and we had it until 1997.

11) ‘88 Chevrolet Celebrity:

Inherited a used company car when I moved back to Detroit from South Carolina in 1988. A real clunker but only had it abpout a year or a little longer.

12) ‘91 Mercury Sable:

Company car, basic work related transportation. Nothing memorable once again and more Detroit junk.
[size=2]&n

Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 PM

2001 Chevrolet Impala - Traded in for Saab after 26k. Parents got this boat for me...I loved it.
2004 Saab 9-3 - Gave to younger brother, opted for an old school hatch for college.
2001 Saab 9-3 - Engine basically fell out after 20k, got it fixed while it was under warranty and traded it in for..
2006 Volvo S40 - Current...47k. Electric blue cop magnet. Just got the extended warranty on it, I plan on bringing it close to 100k before I get a new one. Why get a new car right before grad school in Boston anyways...

Yes, i'm young...ish

Old 04-09-2008, 06:50 AM

1. 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle 396SS (first car given by my dad who purchased new).
Sold in '86 after getting married, buying a new house and needing the money.
2. 1974 BMW 2002tii (first red car!)
3. 1989 Toyota Camry (first new car.) Last year of Japanese made. Great quality.
4. 1990 Nissan Quest bought new when kids arrived.
5. 1980 Porsche 911SC (silver) too fun.
6. 1991 Volvo 240D
7. 1989 Saab 900 SPG Turbo bought used, loved the quickness and handling.
8. 1997 Saab 9000 Aero Turbo replaced the 900 for more room, great for road trips.
9. 2006 Honda CRV - new for wife.
10. 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo bought used and currently my only ride, may be my favorite.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:30 AM

80 cutlas hit a pole on the passenger door drove for 6 months and it became to embracing to keep driving-wrecker
mid 80's chevy wagon modified the 350 and drove bands around for years in it and sold it off
3-73 mazda rx3 fully modified-sold for parts, no longer street legal
80's 242 bored the engine out to 2.3 great car-wrecker
81 245 wagon at the same time as the 242-wrecker
2- bmw 2002's- sold
vw baja bug- stolen
65 544- still have
64 544- still have
62 544- still have
65 544- still have
73 ford F350 dump truck - still have
69 122 wagon - sold
60's 122s -sold
89 ford F350 utility - still have
86 f600 dump -still have
86 GMC 5-yard dump- still have
68 GMC lineman crane - still have
2001 ford F450- still have
86 ford F250- for sale
2004 toyota ciena - kid car
73 mbz 280se - fixing
and there is a lot i am forgetting or i do not want to remember or i had for a short time and traded for other junk .
at least i am down to only 14 cars and trucks right now . lets just say i hate DMV fees[:'(]

Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 AM

Oh why not... I'll bite...

First Car: 1993 Toyota Pickup 4x4 extended cab. My dad bought it when I was 12 and said it would be mine when I got my license. We did everything I could think of to that truck... lifted it, big tires, stereo... it was very nice. I got it when I turned 15. I had the baddest truck in school... then 6 months later my dad re-married and sold it to pay for his honeymoon... I hated my step mom for a while because of this...

Number 2: 1988 Olds Cutlass Sierra. Baby Blue. My dad bought it for me for $2500... right before the honeymoon. I drove it for 3 weeks and stuck it on the street corner with a for sale sign on it. Sold it later that day (in blowing snow!) for $3500 cash.

Number 3: 1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD. Huge step up from the Cutlas! I was back in the game again... chicks dig fast cars. I modded this thing to the hilt. 3" Cat-back exhaust, lowered, upgraded 16g turbo, gauges, the works.... but too many tickets and I had to give it to my dad. (He still owns this car but it has not moved in years)

Number 4: 1992 Honda Prelude Si (my first stick)... great car. Drove it for 2 years until my 2nd year of college. I had modded this one as well although it was never even close to as fast as the Eagle Talon. Once the stereo was stolen it felt weird to drive... I sold it to some guy who bought it for his 16 year old son.

Number 5: 1996 Toyota 4-Runner Limited 4x4. Lifed it, big tires, supercharger, exhaust, rock-sliders, front and rear lockers, DVD player and killer custom stereo... this was a lot of fun... but premium gas wasn't cheap and I was going25 miles each way to work and school at the time. Sold it to some hillbilly who had $12k in cash... strange transaction to say the least. I think he was drunk. I took the money to the bank to make sure it was real before handing over the keys.

Number 6: 1999 Yamaha R6 (actually had this while I had the 4-Runner). Lots of fun but I almost died every day. Phoenix is no place for a crotch rocket that I can stand up in any gear at any time. Sold this for $5k cash to a guy and his son. Son had never ridden a street bike. He was 16. He wanted to take it around the block for a test ride and I said no. Daddy handed me the cash and then I let him take it for a ride. He almost killed himself leaving my driveway. I look at the dad and said "enjoy!" and walked into the house with the cash.

Number 7: 2002 VW Jetta GLI - Cool car. Bought it almost new. 3k miles on it. 6 speed, 17" wheels... didn't do much too it other than the stereo and a K&N filter... I'm growing up now....I sold this to a strange lady who offered me full price before she even drove it. She had just totaled her 2001 Jetta GSX and wanted another one ASAP. Her bank wrote me a check the next day...

Number 8: 2004 Volvo S60 2.5T (current car). I bought this right after my son was born. I couldn't have made a better choice. I love this car...but it's about time for a new one... you know I only keep them 2 years at most and I just got hit for my renewal notice- new tags...

Number 9: Not sure yet.... either a 2006 S60R or a 2008 BMW 335i or a 2008 Mercedes C350.... choices... choices....

8vehicles over 12 years.... ouch!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:03 PM

'72 Super Beetle - drove for a year, sold for $550.
'83 Honda Accord - drove for 3.5 years, traded for
'86 Mazda 323 - sold to friend a year later
'84 Audi 5000 - drove for a year, sold to friend (engine blew a few days later - I forked over 1/2 the repair cost even tho car was running fine when I sold it)
'84 Dodge Caravan - drove for a few years, let missionary-friends use on deputation for a year. Sold locally after returned to us.
'8? Toyota Tercel 4WD wagon - drove for 1.5 years & sold it
'80 VW rabbit - drove for a year or so and junked it
'84 VW rabbit GTi - fixed (sortof) drove for a few months, then sold after doing something stupid in it.
'84 Chevy celebrity - drove for 3 years & 70k miles. Best GM car I ever had. Sold.
'86 Pontiac sunbird wagon - drove for 2 years & sold.
'78 VW rabbit - drove for 2 years & junked.
'92 Dodge caravn - trans blew up, replace trans & traded on
'9? Chevy Astro van 2wd - drove for 1 year & traded on
'9? Chevy Astro van AWD - leased for 4 years & sold it (POS)
'93 Dodge Caravan - drove for 2.5 years & sold
'92 Dodge Caravan - drove for 1 year & sold
'88 VW Golf - drove for 1 year & crashed into 2 trees
'9? Ford Escort wagon - drove for 1 year & junked it
'88 VW Jetta - drove for 1.5 years & junked it
'93 Subaru Impreza - drove for 1 year & sold it
'89 Audi 90 - drove for 6 months & broke rear control arm, repaired & sold
'96 Dodge Caraven - drove for 6 months & crashed into trees & junked it
'95 VW Passat - drove for 1 year, trans broke weeks after selling (fine when I sold it.)
'95 VW Passat - drove for 1 year, trans broke, traded even for
'91 VW Jetta - drove for 6 months, sold
'90 Audi 200 TQ - drove for 2.5 years, sold
'87 Mercedes 260 - drove for 6 months, traded even for
'88 BMW 745il - drove for 6 months, sold 2 years later
'95 Nissan Pathfinder - drove for 2 years & sold
'95 Saab 9000 - drove for 1 year & junked (hit deer, bad turbo, slipping clutch...)
'95 Dodge stratus - drove for 1 year & junked (POS)
'97 Saab 900 - drove for 1 year, going to car auction this Saturday
'92 Dodge Caravan - bought for $175 three years ago, will be junked soon
'96 Audi A6 wagon - drove for 6 months, will be selling as soon as trans switch is fixed
'95 Saab 9000 - bought for parts, but ended up fixing & driving - still have
'90 Audi Quattro Coupe - bought 6 months ago
'97 Dodge Caravan - bought 2 months ago
'94 Volvo 850 - just bought

Disclaimer - I had a paper route for 6 years, and now have young drivers living at home that need wheels. I probably forgot a few, but....

I have had it with most domestic vehicles - crappy to own, PITA to work on. I'm very partial to European makes, especially Swedish (too bad GM has tainted Saab) and Audi has serious quality problems (why I own the older, well-maintened Coupe). I will be looking soon for newer ('98 or so) Volvo or Saab for my wife. The sale of the Audi & Saab, along with a little extra money should enable that.

Quick Reply: Ever wonder what happened to your old cars?