Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Help with PC bugs, viruses, running slow

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with PC bugs, viruses, running slow

I was having these problems a while back and was getting very frustrated to say the least. I hadreligiously run Ad-Aware, SpyBot Search and Destroy, and CCleaner in addition to having McAfee anti-virus, and was still plagued with a very slow PC. The straw that broke the camel's back is when I started getting pop-ups for all sorts of advertisements anytime I tried to access any webpage.

In an effort to fix this myself I did some searching on the web and found this very excellent site: http://www.cexx.org/

The first forum thread, Spyware Help had a read-this first post which I did. It recommended the download and running of Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware program, along with a another program (a utility I believe) called HiJackThis before posting questions. Links to both programs were contained right there in the read-this-first post.

At my wits end I did as directed, and then posted the results of the HiJackThis logfile to the board. (FWIW I appeared there as carguy.) That day I got a response from one of the moderators, TeMerc who then walked me through deleting a number of things embedded in the registry which were the root of all my problems. He (or she?) also walked me through deleting other stuff that was in there and unnecessary which were nothing but a drain on my system resources.

It's been five weeks (Nov 6) since I cleaned up my system with TeMerc's help and with no ill-effects.My bootup time is much faster, and my systemruns faster than it has in a long time and best of all, no more pop-ups!

If you're having similar problems and not sure where to turn, give those guys a try, theyworked miracles for me and should be able to help you too.

bmb.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Default RE: Help with PC bugs, viruses, running slow

I run a mozilla browser with the "no script" add on.
The "no script" can be a pain some times but it does block out
alot of crap, I never have pop up issues at all "no script" is the ulitmate pop up killer
IMO.

I'm glad that you have fixes your issues,
A fresh re-format would have done the same job for you, i re-format
every year or so.

good luck
v70 2.4t

Old 12-14-2008, 07:12 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

BMB & v70 2.4t,

Thanks for valuable info.

My networking speed is down due to Symantec Norton’s anti-phish function. Oh well, it is better than getting my info stolen. Other than slowing down the networking speed, the Symantec has protected my POS PC for the last 6 years.

Add-ons are so annoying, cluttering up your PC and slowing everything for you while slowing down your PC.

My lappy is a Japanese domestic SOTEC, whose OEM HDD (IBM Travelstar) had failed 1.5 years after purchase, the CPU suffered heat run-away after 1~2 months (I fixed this by cleaning the heat sink & re-applying the head conducting paste by Arctic Silver), and a few days ago I just replaced the CCFL (backlight for the LCD). A brand-new LCD was $200, but a pair of CCFL tubes were $24, including shipping.

With current economy and my feeble paycheck, I am going to make this POS last for another 3 years (it is a 2002 model). 1.6Ghz Pentium-4, mere 1GB RAM, 266Mhz bus speed...yes it is an outdated POS but at the moment it does what I need to do.

I will check out the site given by BMB to see if I can improve my POS lappy.

JPN

Old 12-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use CA Anti-Viruswith Yahoo/Google Toolbars for spyware/adware.

No viruses or other crap in the past three years of running this setup.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:03 PM

I use AVG Anti-virus free as a great ANTIVIRUS and for Spam, Registry cleaner,etc I use IObits Advanced Windows Care V2. Both are free for home use and constantly being updated free, are editors top picks on CNET and also on Download.com's editors pick for best spyware/antivirus. And the best part, it is freeeeeeee........!

Old 12-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The AVG stuff is pretty good and yes it is free.
I use to AVG-FREE, but I like CA better.
Got to love the free software though

Old 04-30-2012, 11:58 AM

i think avast antivirus is best.