Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Hyundai

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hyundai

Hi all,

I'm a member of the "First Driver's Club" from Car and Driver where they give you products and you provide feedback on impressions. Anyway, the current topic is Hyundai. Apparently they are trying to reinvent the company and rid themselves of the stigma that is associated with their name.

I have to agree with their campaign - I have always thought Hyundai's were junk (unreliable). I'm curious to see if they can revive the brand and change that impression.

So what do you think of Hyundai? Has their5-year/60,000-mile bumper-to-bumper (10-year/100,000-mile powertrain)warranty and claimed safety innovations ("Sonata was the first midsize car to include standard Electronic Stability Control – a feature considered the greatest automotive-safety development since the seatbelt")improved their name?

Also, for those interested, here's a video of their new concept coupe (competing against my Mitsubishi Eclipse, I believe).
http://www.motortrend.com/av/autosho..._genesis_coupe

Old 12-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hyundai

When I think of Hyundai, my first thought is 'cheap'. They come across as a knockoff of some other Japanese vehicles *cough* Honda *cough* and others. The past few years, with the new Sonota and the introduction of the Azera, have me thinking twice about the company. But, its easier for a company to change its reputation from high-quality to junk, then from junk to high-quality. I couldn't get myself to buy a Hyundai. No matter what features attract me, my brain always still says 'no'.

The concept car looks like the Mazda RX-8, Infinity G35, and the Tiberon.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad initial reputation. Seem to be rebuilding it with recent issues as 01 noted. I might look at them but the price would have to be reeeeaaaallllyy good.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Hyundai and I am very happy with it. It's 10 years old now with 220 000 kms, and still running. I have NOT taken good care of the car and I do not feel motivated to spend about a thousand USD I'd need to spend to put it back in good conditions. I guess I'll drive it till it just dies.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:09 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never driven one so I cannot comment on the quality/drivability on Hyundais. One thing that annoys me is their name & the badge, which undeniably resemble Honda. Some people have been mislead to believe that Hyundai is a Japanese brand.

Their quality & designseem to have improved dramatically in recent years, with the help of other mfgs such as Porsche & Mitsubishi, but then everyone learned from Mercedes & Ford[8D].

As far as the price & warranty go, Hyundai is the best in the industry. A friend of mine near Boston was shopping between Hyundai Sonata & Toyota Camry and they ended up getting the Toyota. Isuggested themthat theytest drive both cars before making the final decision.

I once drove a Suzuki Forenza, which is KIA's OEM. It was the most boring car I've ever driven, nothing to comment about, and even though it was a new car, the coolant was alreadysouth ofMIN mark[8D].

Hyundai had failed many years ago when they first started to sell cars in the States, and one of the main reasons was that they sold cars before they set-up servicing facilities. But they have learned from their mistakes, have been working hard and if others keep relaxing,Hyundai's going to catch up.

JPN

Old 12-06-2007, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard supposedly they are on par w/ Toyota as far as reliability.

However, as a person I know somewhat was driving their Hyundai SUV, their motor actually fell out of the car. Needless to say, I will never buy that junk.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:43 PM

Like all of you, i feel the same about the early days when hyundai's were a cheap car, i remember when the first "excel" came out in about 1985-6, it was a heap of junk to say the least,
Hyundai is not just a car maker. it is the worlds largest ship builder (tankers EG....), they now offer a 5 year unlimited km warrenty in Australia, the first car maker to do so here, they also spent 6 billion on research & safety last year.
I will make a perdiction that Hyundai will take the same road as Honda, Honda was a bit cheap and nasty when they first started making cars too. Hyundai will be a major player in years to come, well they are now when you think about it??
Would i buy a Hyundai....Hell yes....5 Year unlimited warrenty and i quite like the styling of their cars....Although they have a long way to go i believe they are far more reliable than Volvo's and much cheaper......But not safer....

good luck
v70 2.4t

Old 12-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A woman I work with every day and go to lunch with occasionally has a newer Sonata and she loves it. She's had it for about two years now and had no problems whatsoever. And believe me if she did I would know about it. I have ridden in it many times and other than the smell of her smoking in it, it would be a fine car. Woman never empties her ash tray and it reeks in that car.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:54 PM

Now that they're completely trying to redesign themselves, along with the great new marketing scheme, and the RWD genesis coupe coming up I can see myself being in a hyundai sometimes soon... especially if that turbo engine is giong to be offered in teh coupe.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey all,

Thanks for all your comments - I've passed them up through the Car & Driver, First Driver's Club website. Seems like mixed reviews - it's definitely going to be hard to redefine themselves after the reputation that they spent years building.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:03 AM

Hyundai also has an option to buy the 5 year wrap-around warranty and extend it to 10 year / 100,000 miles for around $1,000 USD, not a bad deal IMO. That was what attracted me to them. We almost pulled the trigger a few months ago but I decided I'd try and fix the Jetta's A/C instead of dropping the cash for a new car right now. Had I absolutely needed another car I probably would have bought the Hyundai with the 10 year extended warranty.

The problem with reliability is we won't have any idea if the current crop of Hyundai's are reliable like Volvos, Hondas, or Toyotas until 10 years from today.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:01 PM

There certainly is negative stigma attached to the Hyundai brand. But that seems largely due to the perceived "junk" they used to produce. I actually know several people who drive Hyundai's (both old cars and new models) and noneof them complain about problems or quality.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:55 PM

I haven't seen a Hyundai, apart from the Coupe, that doesn't just look really really dull.

I drove a Getz about a year ago and the main memories I had were, dull drive, dull look (but I think most Japanese cars look dull as well) and it didn't feel very sturdy.

Overall probably a good car for the price but not a car I would choose.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:59 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: gullyg

(but I think most Japanese cars look dull as well)
I agree they are dull. Or, I should make an appointment at a plastic surgery dept.

http://www.honda.co.jp/NSX/

http://www.gtrnissan.com/home.en.us.html
http://www.gtrnissan.com/gallery.ja.jp.html

http://www.rx-8.mazda.co.jp/

http://www.mitsuoka-orochi.com/

JPN

Old 05-16-2008, 05:26 AM

Not all Japanese cars are boring in the slightest however the most common ones tend to be. Two words,

Nissan Almera!