Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Looking to rent vintage Volvo in Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to rent vintage Volvo in Ohio

I am inquiring if you know of anyone near Columbus OHIOwho may have a 1958 Volvo. My parents were married that year and I am interested in having them ride in a car fromtheir 50th anniversary celebratory Mass to a luncheon the afternoon of Saturday, May 24. [/align][/align]For a bit of history, they were marriedin Louisville, KY on May 30, 1958 and received, as a wedding gift, a '58 Volvo from his dad. They then drove to Opelika, AL after their wedding for him to pursue his Masters in engineering from Alburn. He then returned to Louisville and taught at the Speed Shool of Engineering at Uof L. Cars have always been a passion of his, and over the years he has owned the Volvo, at least 2 Fiats, numberous Datsun/Nissans, a Dodge van, purchased a Triumph for my brother, a RX7, and currently tools around town in a Prius. He has always loved to go car shopping with any ofhis 7 children when needed, and recently assisted his older sister in choosinga car. [/align][/align]If you have any information you could forward to me about people who help me with this10 mile ride from Upper Arlington (St Andrews church at Reed & Henderson) to Worthington Hills Country Club would be great! I have tried local rental companies, but DO NOT want a Hummer Limo, which is all I can find. Yuck. Any vintage Volvo would work, I suppose if there aren't any '58 in the area. Any ideas?[/align]jdcvolvo[/align]

Old 04-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Looking to rent vintage Volvo in Ohio

Good luck, but to be honest I doubt your going to find any company that deals in this type of thing not to mention someone from this forum or another forum willing to rent their Volvo to you, someone they don't even know.

But good luck.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:48 PM

I know what you're trying to do, and it would be a nice gesture, but like the previous poster said, you might have difficulty finding something like that in a rental. There's a place up here in Detroit that rents out classic cars and they're quite popular during the summer and especially during the annual Dream Cruise on Woodward Avenue, but that rental company focuses on vintage Detroit iron only, and not imports.

You might find better support for your cause if you offer to pay someone to chauffeur your folks in a vintage Volvo, but you'rerunning into a timing problem being that its four weeks away. You might want to get on the phone with local collector car or car clubs in your area as well, if you want to make this happen.

Good luck to you, I think it's a great and fun thing to do for their 50th and hope it works out.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:14 PM

bluemagicbus - Thanks for your reply; of course I should have indicated "for hire" or chauffer; I wouldn't expect someone to hand me the keys, like S70 driver thought I meant. I'll keep searching for car clubs in that area, but they've been hard to find. Any vintage auto would do at this point...Thanks for your encouragment.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:22 AM

S'okay, glad to help. I looked this morning and found the following link... itlists multiple volvo clubs in the country, including one's in Ashland and Willard, Ohio
http://www.carhopp.net/volvo.htm. (Funny how the clubs are listed in two small towns relatively close toeach other and not anywhere close to the larger towns or cities.)

You couldstart with the Ohio clubs and branch out your search as needed and depending on your stamina; you'll have to pay to get someone with the right car to travel to you, and for their service.

Like my father in law say, all it takes is money. Don't get disappointed if you don't find what you want, however. I follow the old car / collector car market and auctions and don't recall ever seeing or reading about a '58 Volvo.

Remember to ask the Ohio clubs if they are affiliated with or know any other classic car clubs in the area or for someone who might provide a chauffeur service.. While you might not find a '58 Volvo you might find something else.

You can also look upHemmings Motor News andOld Cars Weekly on the web and look around for rentals and other car clubs in your area, and also checkwww.Motorcarportfolio.com up inAkron / Canton. They have a fabulous collection of cars for sale, and might hook you up with a rental of something, or they might know someone who will. Check out their '58 Lincoln Continental... even if they won't rent it it's worth looking at the photos on the site... If I were working I might be tempted to buy it!

Even if you finda '58 Chevy or Caddy, etc.your folks would be tickled pink, so don't fret if its not a vintage Volvo. Let us know what happens and post some pics.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heck, just go ahead and buy them a new red C70 convertible.