Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Sorry Guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Sorry Guys

At this time I am going to have to back out of the forum some.

I have family and other matter that require the time I spend on here.

Right now this is my only option. I will check in from time to time to see how things are.

Thank You everyone for understanding

Tech

Old 03-24-2007, 10:17 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Sorry Guys

Dear Tech,

I can only hope the situation isn't too bad. Take your time, and I really hope things settle down soon for you & your family.

I haven't been able to come to the forum until now, as I'm back in JPN and have been seriously depressed and just got DSL yesterday. Dial-up was a nightmare.

I hope to see you back here, as there is no one who knows Volvos batter than you do.

I wish you the best and take care.

Best regards,

JPN

Old 03-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dam

Thanks Tech for all you do and Best wishes.

Old 04-01-2007, 12:32 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks guys I am slowly working through it.
Hopefully I can come back soon.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:04 PM
JPN

Hey Tech!

Nice to hear from you, I hope you're all right.

Take your time, we'll struggle without you for a while, but we sure missed having you.

No rush, your family first and come back when everything's settled down.

Best wishes,

JPN

Old 04-03-2007, 11:39 AM

Hi Tech

I am new to the forum, but I have read tons of posts with your helpful advice. I hope things smooth out for you soon.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:46 AM
JPN

Dear Tech,

I can only hope things are improving for you & your family.

I just wanted to say that I truly applaud your hard work ever since you joined this forum. It takes so much time & effort just to post comments in the 850 forum alone, and you've been doing this for ALL forums. I don't know how many people realise how much effort is required to do this. I hope you're getting some form of compensation from the forum, otherwise it's not worth it.

Recently, I've tried to see how other forums were doing and there were quite a few posts that had no replies, so I volunteered to reply to those posts. As soon as I posted replies, other people started to jump in, saying that my answers were not correct, etc.... But I wondered, why those people suddenly started replying to those neglected posts, or if they were just waiting for a "prey". After volunteering in S40, S60, S70 & S80 forums, I gave up. I am here to help others & get help from others and enjoy, not to argue or to get bitten in the axx. Sadly, many people want to think they know better than others and act like macho-man. This is universal, and situations in Japan are much worse; you don't want to go there.

I'm thinking of withdrawing from the forum, when my posts hit 1000 mark. One of the reasons is because I no longer drive 850 and my knowledge is based on general knowledge and service manuals now, but mainly I'm tired of not seeing common sense. I don't know how difficult it is to post a reply to say "Thanks for your help". In modern society, many people seem to take others' help for granted but busy enough to blame others. Also, many people seem to forget that they were once newbies too. As far as my observation goes, only about 10%-20% of people reply with a note of appreciation.

There's a breaking point to every man, and I'mabout to reachmine. But this forum is still far better compared to other forums whether they're related to automobiles or not. I really think it's time that the forum administrator set a written rules as to what is allowed and what isn't. I personally think that sarcastic replies should not be allowed (e.g., picking on those who're just starting to learn), as well as certain terminology (sxxt, fxxk, etc...). I don't think it's difficult to set a filter to block posts that contain those words. And if a person repeats sarcastic posts, he/she should be blocked from accessing the forum for good, after 3 strikes. My instructor at aviation school once told us that it takes only one evil-minded person to screw up the entire team, and I think that's true.

Thank you for all your help, and I really hope you're doing ok.

Respectfully,

Kanji Kotaki, a.k.a JPN

Old 04-17-2007, 03:24 PM

Kanji Kotaki, a.k.a JPN.

I wholeheartedly agree with your post. On this and other forums there is too much 'self first'.

I subscribed to this forum after reading some of Tech's posts. My first post was asking for help, which I got and for which I thanked those who gave it. This was not a hardship for me, and I would like to think that my acknowledgement would help others with a similar problem to find their solution.

All too often those who give help and advice never know if it has been put into practice. One other Volvo forum, UK based, shows the number of times contributors have been thanked in this format:
Last Online: Today 02:32[/align]Join Date: May 2006[/align]Posts: 363
[/align][/align]This shows how people have responded.A good idea that could be added to other forums.[/align][/align]As I have grown olderI find that attitudes towards courtesy have deteriorated. My children and grandchildren have been brought up to be courteous but, especially in the case of my grandchildren, they are treated with contempt by their peers when they say 'please' or thank you'. They seem to be obsolete words in much of society.[/align][/align]If you do quit this forum I shall miss your posts. They are always polite and helpful and I enjoy reading them.[/align][/align]Good luck to both you and Tech in the future.[/align][/align]Bill Shanks (billofdurham)[/align][/align][/align]

Old 04-17-2007, 03:26 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a forum rule that precludes the language that you mention. On this forum there is a moderator who sprinkles this language liberally. I have written to the administrator who does nothing even 'though the 'rules' are specific. I too have noticed that when I reply to a poster, I very infrequently receive any feed back. I have repaired as a hobby every system on an automobile since 1959 and feel that I have conciderably more knowlege than some of the 'rebuttal' 'experts'. You are correct in stating that it seems that some individuals do not add to this forum but rather look to it as a forum to vent their spleen. Stick with it JPN..............

r.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:48 PM
JPN

Dear Bill and Reg,

I really would like to thank both of you for quick & kind replies. It was for people like you that I stayedwith this forum.

I found a thread by accident, where this "expert" was firing Tech away with much sarcasm and maximum rudeness, with which I was appalled. No onehas the right to be rude to a person like Tech or to anyone. I really don't know what makes them think they have the right to be so harsh to others.

Anyway, as long as people like you two are here, I may not completely disappear, but my replies may become less than what is now. I'll see how it goes.

Thank you very much once again, I really appreciate you two.

Sincerely,

Kanji Kotaki

Old 04-17-2007, 08:26 PM
reg

JPN, when I first joined this forum a few years back I was the second poster behind TECH. Whereas I do not know the particulars re: Volvo, I do have sufficient knowlege to help with the basic questions. It didn't take long however to find that argument was going to reign supreme over advice. Advice is simply that........an opinion. No one's opinion has to be taken as gospel and if another's opinion is different than yours..........then so state it............nicely. That was not occuring and as a result, I stopped contributing to the extent that I had been although I do on the occasion that I feel so compelled. With that said, hang in there as this is still an interesting forum. Lastly, although I still have my old c70 (2002) my true love is in BMW and Austin Healey. The Volvo is my winter beater............the license plate indicates same. You have sold your Volvo but I'll bet you still have a ton of experience on the 850 which has the most postings of all of the Volvo series.

r.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

I have cut way back on my posting also. All I ask is that you people who know way more than I do, to please answer all my questions. haha. I try to help out when I can. I know quite a bit about Volvo's in general, but I'm not a mechanic and try to only answer what I know. Occasionally I will search for an answer for somebody, hoping Tech has already answered the question. I certainly miss Tech being on this board, but I can understand why he had to back away. He had to spend quite a bit of time here with all the answers he gave, and I believe he has four children.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:48 PM
reg

Now wait a minute Jim. You rebuilt your 850 engine. A lot of us followed your trials and tribulations of getting the cylinder head correct. You DO have knowlege of the 5 cylinder.

r.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Administrator

I have said this in private to tech, but I would like to publicly thank him for his insight over the years, as he has surely helped many many people with their vehicular problems.

I hope that all is well for mr tech, and his family!

Old 04-19-2007, 03:30 PM

I am brand new here to the forum. I am a new Volvo tech with experience in Ford, but none in Volvo. Since our dealership has picked up the Volvo line, I have had to resort to information online to help me. Tech has helped me at least 5 times while searching for info here.

Hope to see you return! I will do my part and try and help where I can.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: reg

Now wait a minute Jim. You rebuilt your 850 engine. A lot of us followed your trials and tribulations of getting the cylinder head correct. You DO have knowlege of the 5 cylinder.

r.
I would have never done that had my daughter not married a mechanic and we needed to bond. Yes I learned quite a bit, and probably could do the job myself now. After all we had the head off three times. I still can not see the damn mark on the crank for the timing belt though. I have never had good eyesight, but as I get older it's harder to see things like that.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Administrator

wow..thats nice. my fiancees parents hate me...[:@]

johnnymullet, do you have a 71 demon?

Old 04-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

JPN,

I read this late, but let me say this to you and all of the other experts out here that make this forum what it is. PLEASE do not stop posting and helping when you have the time. Yes, there are those that look to start an arguement or go out of their way to prove someone wrong. I actually pity those people as they have nothing better to do in life. You, Tech, JimKw, S70 Driver, and many others have helped lots of folks over the years, and you would all be sadly missed if you stopped posting.

I know my first experience on the forum was asking for general advice on 850's, and I got a lot of great responses, which I made an effort to promptly reply to, even if it was only to say a simple "thank you". I was always taught by my parents to say "please" and "thank you" and I have taught my kids the same way. It is a shame that others have not learned or taught their children the same way.

Sorry for the ramble, but let me finish by saying to please not let others drive you away by their rudeness and selfishness. If they do, then they have won the battle and made life worse for the rest of us as well.

Glenn

Old 04-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any member who has contributed as much as you have to the forum does not need to say sorry. it is the rest of us who are sorry to lose your input, but we hope you will come back when the time is right.best wishes, fivespeed.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:50 AM

AH Come on Guys, chin's up, i posted a "Merry Xmas" message and got 3 replies....
Do i care, well not really...
Do i care when i give advise(the very little i give from time to time)with no reply...
well some what,
Do i thank people for their advise.....Hell yes....
It all comes back to the individual, you cannot make someone reply with a "thanks for your help".
Dont take it to personal JPN people are people, you have good morals...others dont..as for the three strikes and your out idea....well i'm all for that...

v70 2.4t

Quick Reply: Sorry Guys