Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Anything Goes.

Speaking of close calls

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaking of close calls

Yesterday i was on my way to do dinner with the parents. I had a 350 Z tailing me and another car behind him that i really didnt think much about. I gave on the gas after i made a turn onto a road, got up to about 60-65 then slightly started braking cause of traffic. there was a car infront of me. Now i didnt wanna try to go around him because the other lane ended in about 100 ft, so my two lane becomes a one lane. and i couldnt see any cars infront of the car infront of me. No reason to risk my or anyone elses life for no reason.

This did not deter the 350 Z who wanted to show his stuff. zooms around me and barely clears the car ahead of me because in the lane that ends where it becomes one lane, is a silver car , stoped trying to make a left turn into the housing development. I was like ooooo that was cutting it close, i then see a 02 Eclipse come screaming past me, I was like omg this guy will never make it. he was seriously doing about 80. with a stopped car about 100 ft infront of him. and me on the right and the other car infront of me. He some how manages to go inbetween the stopped car and the car infront of me. We are talking two lane road and there are three cars parralel with each other. Freaks the blue car out, he swerves a bit to the right to avoid a collision. Then this moron, who now has to slam on his brakes cause he came right behind his buddy, who is only going about 45-50.

This idiot overloaded his brakes saw him fishtail and spun his car into the on comming single lane. with a big fat suv barreling down on him. he slams his brakes and stops short of t-boning the eclipse by about 2 feet.

I will be the first to admit, i used to do the street racingthing at night on the back roads for years. before it got stupid with Fast and the furious morons. I however always left a margin of safety, but lately people i see racing on the road have this no guts no glory thing going, and im surprised they havent killed someone yet. Its gutsy to take a turn at speed racing another car on a track, its stupid to do it at 5:00 pm traffic on a main road into a place with alot of houses. if you turn off.

I seriously wanted to get out of my car and pummel the guy for being not only reckless with others lives, including my own. I was okay cause ive raced enough to notice things, react,and keep a distance, and i drive the speed limit or 5 over on highways. But seriously if the grill of a big *** ford screeching to a hault on your door doesnt make you rethink that, or the fact that he spun out a FF car while heavy braking in a sorta straight line. Then nothing is gonna get through to him till he kills himself.

Road rage is bad, but i think Tech can back me up, most people in florida, got there license out of a trix cereal box.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Speaking of close calls

I agree 100% with that.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Amen brother.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow sounds like a real idiot or maybe two idiots.

I used to race on the road quite a bit and will still if the situation looks safe. I don't mess around when there is traffic though. But sometimes just knowing how to handle a car in emergency situations comes from the times I used to race.

Not long ago I was towing a 29 foot trailer behind my Suburban and a big truck with a front loder, bulldozer of some big equipment on the back ran a stop sign to my left on a wet road right in front of me. Slamming on my brakes would have done nothing but slam into the truck and there was a drop to my right. I was probably doing about 50 mph. I cut hard to the right just to the top of the drop off and then kept it straight. The Suburban and the trailer was in a slide and I just kept control without braking. When the Suburban got past the truck I said to my wife "he's going to hit the trailer, but at least we're buy him". Nothing seemed to happen and I pulled off the road up a few hundred feet. The guy actually pulled in behind me and said "Did I git ya". I just looked at him and didn't even speak. Stuff in the camper was all over the place, but we did not get hit. I think it's the only time my wife actually complemented me on my excellent driving skills. We really think my instincts saved our lives. The guy in the truck just said his brakes failed, but I never did really talk to him. The truck looked like it had no business being on the road, and we have no safety inspections here in Ohio.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:37 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Some people seem to have the money or life to burn[8D].

I assume it was some spoiled youngsters; whoever can afford a 350Z wouldn't be poor, and generally speaking, people wouldn't want to smash a 350Z, so some wealthy parents bought their spoiled son a new 350Z[8D]. But I cannot complain, as I myself bought a new 350Z a few days ago...

...only it is 1/24 the actual size.

The safest thing to do when you spot reckless idiots, is to keep as much distance as possible. I even change route if needed to.

Well done on your part,

JPN

Old 11-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think some racing is actually good, it sharpens the senses. best to do it on a track. but it deffinetly gets you to be aware of all that is going on around you. Which is the only practical application of messing around in your car. Or in jims case, saving himself from another idiot on the road. but yeah, its stupid to practice car control, if your gonna put yourself into a bad position in the first place.

Pushing it up in your car on the highway can be fun, but you gotta be smart, and responsible. most of the younger drivers. arent.