18yrd old in texas. got a 86' 745 wagon

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18yrd old in texas. got a 86' 745 wagon

so normally i drive a 72 vw baja bug. fiberglass front end and chopped the rear off to show off a old rusted motor. re-geared the trans so yes i can hit 90mph on the highway and i have 265/70/17r on the rear and z rated race tires on the front. the exhaust has been chopped and the baffel removed so it's kinda like those sportbikes with the mega phone exhaust so it's very loud.

anyways the bug broke down and my twin brother is going to a new school so i needed a car big enough to carry all my lacrosse equipment and my dad and i found a nice old volvo wagon that were both pretty happy with. the clear coat is blowing out, the headliner isn't even their and the air compressor is bad. but it's ok cause i haven't had any of those.

onto my questions:
is it fairly easy to replace a headliner or should i just have a professional do it?
im pretty tech savy and i know how to replace a headliner in a bug, but im not so sure about a car like this

now i want efficency and i know a cold air intake helps other cars, but im not sure with this one because it has a silver tube running from the exhaust to the airbox and im not sure what this is.
so will a cold air intake (like a k&n but with a uni filter instead of the k&n because the filter is restrictive) help this car or should i stay with the stock airbox?

i was walking around a local junk yard and they have several tubo systems with the intercoolers and all out of newer 90's model 740's and 960's models.
can i pull the turbo exhaust out, the turbo, the intercooler and the plumbing and bolt it into my car? or do i need the carburetor/efi system to?
i know the turbos are low profile, so im not expecting a big increase in power. i understand that this is a volvo, it's a tank. it's big, heavy and safe, and it's pretty good on gas. if i want to act stupid i have a baja bug for that. im just trying to get this wagon to look good and get good gas milage.

sorry for the long post
thanks in advanced

Old 03-21-2010, 07:47 PM

There's a headliner replacement article here:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=160443

(copied the link from the 260/760/960 pages)

Let us know how you get o please.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:14 AM

thanks for the article. theirs a headliner out of a 240 wagon in my local junk yard for $15. im probably gonna go back down and see if i can remove it in one piece, if i can then ill go ahead and change it myself. if not my dad's gonna replace it cause he can't stand it, but honestly i don't care.

were suppose to get the wagon after my lacrosse practice. whe have it bought just working on the title transfer and stuff. because everytime i drive a car without the title transfer a cop always pulls me over, happned with my last 2cars! so were not taking that chance again
as soon as i get it i'll post some pics for u guys

i just hope i don't bastersize the car too much. most enthusiast don't like kids messing with the "image" of their cars. so im hoping not to get bashed on too much by u guys
i have a japaneese ricer exhaust laying around and i've heard a simalr model with it, and i liked it. i just can't drive a quite car, it makes sneaking out of the house hard but thats ok by my parents. we'll see how that goes over