1978 245 DL a.k.a. Sandy Goldfish

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 11:39 AM
SFP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 245 DL a.k.a. Sandy Goldfish

Where to begin.

I recently took ownership of a 1978 245 DL. She officially is the oldest Volvo I have ever owned, also the first with a carburetor and manual choke. I got it from an older gentlemen who bought it back in late 1978. Between himself and his brother they had five (now four) 240's. It has a full set of service records, original bill of sale, you name it. Up until 2019 it was a daily that did double duty as a work truck. The timing belt has been done (2017), front seats re-foamed/new springs/new cloth, four year old Toyo all season tires. She isn't perfect as she sat for a couple of years but is in really good shape. Body I would say is 9/10, under carriage 9/10, interior 7.5/10. It was ordered with the center arm rest, a tach, factor trailer hitch. Being a '78 it was too early for factory air conditioning which I plan on doing a retro fit to address.

I have had her a week now and I am using it as my daily (to save on gas). Yeah I have discovered a few quirks which I'll get to below.

What I am aware of that it needs fixed:
- fuel gauge and temp gauge are not working
- lighter doesn't work
- clock doesn't work
- has a turn **** I have zero idea what it is for
- seems to slip in first when cold if I am on a hill of any type - not always, but enough to be annoying
- cabin light over front seats
- driver side rear tail-light lens has a crack
- missing one beauty ring
- bit of surface rust here and there as well as passenger rear quarter panel could use some work
- no functioning stereo - has an after market Sony cassette system that displays time but that is it
- I wanna replace the seat belts (webbing is just old)
- windshield washer pump not working
- rear windshield wiper not working
- blower fan is going
- odometer not working
- tach comes and goes (which leads me to believe the entire cluster needs some repairing/updating)
- the plastic around the top of the shifter (where the OD button is) is cracked and at times rattles

When she is warmed up she drives great. Nice and stable at speed on the highway and a joy to drive. First day home I did a basic tune-up, installed new plugs, new windshield wipers (gotta love the Bosch Icon blades), a good wash and a quick interior detail. I have new snow tires ordered and going on November 1 - going with Uniroyal Tigerpaw Ice & Snow 3 - size 190/75 R14. Somewhere in the next couple of weeks will take her into the shop and have them go over it and do a fluids change while it is in there.

I also need to determine the correct fuse order as it looks like it has been updated and has a piece of paper taped to the inside. MY first day I replaced all the fuses and they didn't match what was on the paper so if anyone has a photo from their 1978 I can compare to, that would be great.

Am picking up a set of Virgo 15" end of the month but they won't be going on until spring, or maybe they end up on the 1991 240 I own. There are some trim pieces around the door I would like to replace as well. She is missing the passenger side 245 DL badge, which I need to locate at some point. Also missing the ash tray.

My goal is a full restoration including a paint job at some point.

If anyone has advise or thoughts on the repairs feel free to reply.

Pics below

Sincerely,
Scott

Removed the center hub caps

Love this front end.

Anyone have an extra they want to part with?

**** beside Seatbelt light - anyone have Any idea what it may be for?

Old 10-23-2022, 12:57 PM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

**** beside Seatbelt light - anyone have Any idea what it may be for?

Speaker fader from original installation?