1990 240DL Starting, Idle and Sputter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 240DL Starting, Idle and Sputter Issues

Greetings everyone, I'm an owner of a 1990 automatic 240DL I bought for 900 dollars last year, it's my first car and I love it. However, it had a very intermittent issue on idle since when I bought it, only happening twice in the past year, that has just begun to happen more recently. On those two occasions the car died after starting, one of which was many blocks into driving, and then took quite a few crank but no start tries to start again, but eventually started with a good idle and could go. On this occasion that is in the video, I had the same issue as the last two but when the car started, the engine and subsequently my loose tailpipe would shake, making the whole car shake as you can see near the end of the video, I exclaimed that "that was in park" because this shaking sometimes wouldn't happen until I put it into drive. It's been a few days and I have been unable to replicate this exact shaking scenario, but it takes a couple more cranks to start than usual about half the time and my car did sputter and die after just a block of driving to work, before starting up and driving fine for again the trip after a bunch of crank but no start tries. Are these all separate problems, or possibly symptoms of the same faulty part, like the starter or the spark plugs or the idle air control valve with that shaky idle at the end of the video? I apologize for not presenting this story as eloquently as I perhaps could, but as a new owner of an old car it's been hard to diagnose exactly what is causing the issue or if these symptoms are all even the same thing. It's also both fortunate and unfortunate that the problem seems to disappear for months, especially since it allowed a full-time employee and student like me to forget it could become a more troublesome issue. The only thing I've replaced since getting the car was the fuel pressure regulator and the drive belts and the previous owner wasn't very stewardly, so any stories of similar issues or random possible fixes would be super helpful, I've been journeying through YouTube listening for similar idle sounds in videos but I will peruse these forums more thoroughly over this weekend and when I have the time. Thank you for reading my diatribe and also for creating this refuge for Volvo owners, I'll use the coming summer when homework dips down to get this brick back to its deserved shape. Going out this summer will also be very difficult for me if I don't fix my separate taillight issues, and I've already started reading into the infamous archive of taillight threads on here (I know the priorities here though), so you'll certainly see me around!

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG-9135.mov (3.10 MB, 8 views)