240 newbie!! Clutch and alternator issues...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 240 newbie!! Clutch and alternator issues...

Hey all,

As of four hours ago I'm the owner of a pretty nasty '85 240 DL, manual transmission. It wasn't running, has been sitting for a while, and know it needs a few things doing. But it was, err, the right price. I've also got a '98 V70 T5, and had a 440 when I lived in the UK.

The good news is that after fitting a new battery, it started first time. It idles badly, and the the dash warning lights were all dimly lit, including the battery light. So i measured across the terminals, and it isn't charging. There is/was a wasps nest on the alternator, so they've chewed through the insulation on the smaller wires, but they're not shorted against anything.

Question 1: The battery light is on when the key is in position 2. Is that normal, or does it suggest the alternator is screwed?

Question 2: Do the dim/flickering dashboard warning lights at idle indicate something else is wrong?

Other than that, the water pump, the exhaust, the wasps nest, and an engine mount, the car also won't go into gear when the engine's running. The car was sitting for 18 months, so I guess the clutch has seized. However, the pedal moves up and down freely. Does anyone have any suggestions with that one?

Many thanks!
Tim

Last edited by timmins; 10-18-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I seem to have fixed the clutch. It was indeed seized. Turned it over a few times on the starter, in 2nd gear. One large bang later, and I have a working clutch.

Now onto the alternator. The wiring around there is a total mess, so I'm going to patch it up, and check the continuity to the battery/starter. Any suggestions would be welcome.

It's also idling badly when cold, so I guess the throttle body needs cleaning.

Oh well!