740 starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 740 starting issues

Well, i'm at it again.

My 1989 740 Gl is having starting problems. I crank, and crank, and nothing happens.
But, here's the kicker. This only happens after driving for two or three hours.

Scenario: Get in car, crank a few seconds, then starts. Drive to school, leave car for 5 hours. I get back, and the car will not start. It often takes 3 minutes of cranking and pedal pushing to get it to start. It proceeds to catch and then rumble, skipping cylinder(s) and then dies. Eventually i can coax it to run, and the skipping of cylinder(s) smooths out. Drive home, park for the night, repeat.

Car is an automatic, and has been involved in a front end (minor) crash.

Fun note: my spark plugs have little connector **** on them, a small rounded metal piece. They come loose often. I have to tighten them weekly. Don't know why.

I have little experience with diagnostics. I can turn a wrench and pull out an alternator, but i have no idea what to do here. What is causing my problems?

Thanks for any ideas
Kyle Jordan

Old 03-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you:
Replaced the cap rotor or wires recently? Are you tightening the plugs to spec? How does it drive when it goes? Any hiccups at all? Does it idle? Is there anything odd about how it runs? There might be more clues. My car sometimes won't start as quickly as it should because the ball check valve doesn't seal all the time. But it doesn't much longer, and I hit the starter for a second, if it doesn't catch like normal then I stop for a second just to about when the fuel pumps are about to cut out again and it will fire right up. I don't really think this will help, but tell us all you can.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have not replaced the wires. plugs are tightened to all i can do.

driving is mostly ok. occasionally get a high idle, and the car pulls forward if i don't pay attention.

recently replaced alternator, the armature was worn down on the voltage regulator side. had radio stolen, wires are all isolated.. i think. having electrical issues there, but that's for another post.

what will replacing the wires do?

I don't drive much, but i'd like to fix it.