Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo 240, 740 & 940 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/)
-   -   740 wagon not starting again (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-240-740-940-12/740-wagon-not-starting-again-20652/)

wehashi21 06-08-2008 06:18 PM

740 wagon not starting again

i own a 92 740 wagon, ive changed everything and spent more than the cars prob worth, to fix, the not starting, low idle problem. today i went out to my car and not its not even turning on, its not the battery, cuz my radio, and all my lights work, it just wont turn over, its not clicking, but it ran fine yesterday. HELP please, does anybody know whats wrong?

wojeepster 06-08-2008 11:23 PM

RE: 740 wagon not starting again

It is not magic. I have been in the same place as you and have spent tons of time and money trying to get it right and always eventually did. I recommend you buy a book by Tracy Martin, "How to diagnose and repair automobile electrical systems" It is dirt cheap I think it is $17 on www.amazon.com I have gotten very good at fixing electrical systems since then.

Now for my guess, and this is only a guess. Sometimes the electrical part of the ignition switch goes bad. Get a digital multimeter (Harbour freight has a backlit one for $3.77) If it doesn't crank clean the battery terminals and charge the battery fully before doing anything else. Then check for spark and check for gas. As you have already found out just guessing and replacing stuff gets expensive fast and is not likely to solve the problem. Read the book (it will save you thousands!) get a volvo wiring diagram for your car and conquer the world.

wehashi21 06-09-2008 01:59 AM

i just changed and fixed the ignition last week, so i know its not that, could it be my starter by chance?

wojeepster 06-09-2008 09:19 AM

It could be (it could be alot of different things)but is more likely a loose or bad connection or a battery that is discharged. You can measure voltage at starter when cranking and measure voltage on ground return when cranking.Ground return should be close to zero, power to starter should be around 12v.

Glockness 06-14-2008 12:27 AM

i just had this problem. i have a 92 turbo wagon. its a relay. check under the fuse box. there are some GIANT fuses. they are relays. GENTLY!!! GENTLY!!!! GENTLY!!!! press down on them to make sure they are "seated" correctly. if it still doesnt work. replace the fuel pump relay.

fredbyte 07-15-2008 10:25 AM

Visit www.stepbystepvolvo.com. It has a diagnostic guide for 740/940 no-starts. wojeepster is right. Make sure you have a good battery! A battery might power lights but not have enough cranking power to turn the starter.