86 Volvo 240 Wagon Gauge and Dash light, Speedo Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Volvo 240 Wagon Gauge and Dash light, Speedo Issue

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping that someone can help me as I am going in to Day 5 of trying to figure out what happened to my gauges and dashlights after I changed the blower motor. The overdrive light is on, no temp or gas gauges, removed and replaced instrument cluster thinking that was it. Cannot figure out if it is a bad ground as all of the wires are in tact. The blower works, turn signals work, hazards work, no alternator light, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I read somewhere that it might be the ignition switch. I tested all of the inputs and on the plugs that go "install" on the cluster and several were dead. Is this the sign of a bad ignition switch?

Old 09-06-2012, 05:56 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

From the sounds of it, you aren't getting power to the instrument cluster. If I remember correctly, there are 4-6 connectors to it depending on whether you have a tach and cruise control. There should be 2 roundish type connectors with multiple wires, one connector with three wires to it and a single wire spade. If you have cruise control, there is a second single wire (yellow) spade. If you have a tach, there is a single wire (red/white) spade.

Power to the instrument cluster comes through the 3 wire connector. Make sure this connector is on and you have 12v running to it. If you have the 12v, then check the fuse on the back of the cluster. It looks like a plastic circuit board strip connected to two posts (one on each end). It sits at the bottom of the speedometer on the circuit board. Check the continuity on the fuse.

One last note: Don't find a home for the red/white single spade wire if you don't have a tach. Many people connect it to the double spade on the back of the cluster and that is a sure fire way to fry the 2115 chip on the speedo circuit board.

Good luck

Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 AM

The law of descending logic: Go back to what you did or replaced before it didn't work and you'll likely find that you caused the problem. Re-trace your steps and look at connectors that might have become partially un-plugged, etc.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:53 AM

Thank you. Oh, I know that I caused the problem. LOL! I am now on day six with having made two trips out to the junkyard and have a feeling that it is a ground but cannot figure out where. Is the cigarette lighter ground wire black with two wires? Back to work....Thanks again.