'87 Volvo 240 spewing oil from backside of oil container

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 Volvo 240 spewing oil from backside of oil container

Yesterday my car was fine, running well. This morning I started it and began driving it, and I could smell oil burning and then there was some white smoke. Pulled over and opened the hood, saw oil spewing out of the backside of the oil container down to the pavement. Took it to the garage, guy takes a look. Puts his hand in that narrow space between the frame of the car and the back side of the oil container, while it's running, pulls it out, his hand is covered in oil. Says he feels a hole back there.

Later, I do the same. I start the car, reach back there again to feel the hole, I feel it. The area around the hole is spinning. And it's spewing oil out of the hole. I think the hole is supposed to be there, part of the design, it doesn't feel jagged or anything like that, it is smooth actually. Maybe not, I don't know.

I hope this is somewhat clear. If anybody can help me out with this issue I would be most grateful.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tetsugen
Yesterday my car was fine, running well. This morning I started it and began driving it, and I could smell oil burning and then there was some white smoke. Pulled over and opened the hood, saw oil spewing out of the backside of the oil container down to the pavement. Took it to the garage, guy takes a look. Puts his hand in that narrow space between the frame of the car and the back side of the oil container, while it's running, pulls it out, his hand is covered in oil. Says he feels a hole back there.

Later, I do the same. I start the car, reach back there again to feel the hole, I feel it. The area around the hole is spinning. And it's spewing oil out of the hole. I think the hole is supposed to be there, part of the design, it doesn't feel jagged or anything like that, it is smooth actually. Maybe not, I don't know.

I hope this is somewhat clear. If anybody can help me out with this issue I would be most grateful.
What do you mean by "oil container". Is this the oil filter? Where is it located.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:54 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

I suspect that the rear cam seal blew out. This is a common occurrance if the flame trap is not cleaned regularly. Pressure builds up and blows the seal right out.

Is the leak at the rear of the engine and spewing oil onto the firewall? If so, that is the rear cam seal.

It looks like this:

Rear Camshaft Seal - B21 B23

Also, since it blew out, you might want to add one of these:

Rear Cam Seal Retainer

Also, you need to clean that flame trap!

Good luck

Old 12-09-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by act1292
I suspect that the rear cam seal blew out. This is a common occurrance if the flame trap is not cleaned regularly. Pressure builds up and blows the seal right out.

Is the leak at the rear of the engine and spewing oil onto the firewall? If so, that is the rear cam seal.

It looks like this:

Rear Camshaft Seal - B21 B23

Also, since it blew out, you might want to add one of these:

Rear Cam Seal Retainer

Also, you need to clean that flame trap!

Good luck
Yes, it is at the rear of the engine and it is spewing on to the firewall, exactly. I was unsure of the proper terminology, by oil container I meant the rectangular box where you add your oil, it says volvo on it. Thanks a lot for your help.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow!!!

Old 12-10-2011, 12:11 PM

Definitely the rear cam seal. I had the same thing happen to me and I had no clue what it was. I looked and looked, thinking a rod when through the block or something, and it ended up just being that darn cam seal! I sure was happy about that, but not so happy about having to clean 2 quarts of oil off my driveway! You're Volvo dealer might have one in stock if you don't want to wait for the part to ship.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:13 PM

Don't want to sound snotty because I as well have limited knowledge of cars. However, because you called the valve cover the oil container, I suggest taking this car to a shop.