89 240 Automatic shakes VIOLENTLY (not suspension)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 240 Automatic shakes VIOLENTLY (not suspension)

Hello everyone, I am trying to diagnose a shaking problem in my wagon. It has been sitting for about 3 months. Before this there was absolutely no problems what so ever, it was sitting just because I wasn't driving it. While it was sitting I flushed the atf fluid, and replaced the gasket and filter. I also changed the oil. That is all I did the car. Today, I took it out for a maiden voyage and everything was going fine. Took it out on the freeway, and car shifted good through all the gears. I got off on an exit and on a side road, and suddenly when I braked the car started shaking like I have never, ever felt a car shake in my life. It was VIOLENT. and very, very loud. It wouldn't stop until I came to a complete stop, then when I would start driving again, it would be ok. After taking off again, it started doing it again, without braking, and once again wouldn't stop until I came to a complete stop. It did this off an on while I nursed it back home, regardless of my speed (although I was driving at speeds less than 45 mph the entire time.). I was trying to pin point the where the shake was coming from, and it seems like (or I hope) it was coming from the passenger side rear wheel, and the wheel was pretty hot, but the knocking sound seemed to be coming from the transmission, but I also think that could of been the sound of the exhaust system banging against the underneath of the car. I think it is a locked up caliper from sitting, but I didn't think a caliper or wheel locking up would be that loud or that intense of a shake. I was also worried that it has something to do with the transmission though, and that worries me. Any ideas on what it could be? I will try to answer any questions to help better describe the issue that you may have. Thank you very much.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a shot in the dark...but it sounds as if your carrier bearing for the drive shaft has died a horrible death. Take a look at the rubber portion, it's probably dry rotted or totally gone...

Old 07-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. Totally gone. Is it to hard of a replacement? Could I have done more damage by driving it in that condition, if even for a short distance?

Old 07-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any otiher damage is usually relegated to the U joints. If they were in primo conditon, it probably wouldn't faze them but since they're probably as old as the carrier bearing...I'd give them a look over. You have to pull the drive shaft to swap the carrier bearing and rubber mount out and that's the time to swap U joints if they need it.