90 240DL Cruise Control/Light Failure Indicator Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 90 240DL Cruise Control/Light Failure Indicator Help

I've been the owner of this car for a while now and about six months ago the cruise control ceased to work, around that time I also noticed that the light failure indicator started to come on when I pressed the brake. It also comes on when I turn the headlights on. All the lights seem to be working okay, beside the reverse lamps (the white lights in the centre of the taillight assembly) - I can't remember them working. I would very much like to have the cruise control working as I drive on the interstate for long periods often.

Whilst I'm in here I want to ask:
  • Are there any simple things I can do to increase acceleration/mpg? I recently replaced the spark plugs and fuel filter. I also had the fuel pump replaced as it was giving me problems.
  • When I first start the car I can hear a belt squeak, it increases if I rev the car, but ceases when I'm driving. Any idea how to stop this?

Thanks guys, this is my first car/love :P and I love tinkering with things.

Edit: Adding some images as needed
Name:  2tWwc.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  12.6 KB

Old 03-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check all vacuum lines of the cruise control system first. The taillights seem to be working according to your post-the light in the dash may be set off due to things like bad grounds. The cruise/light issue is likely unrelated. Keeping the car tuned up is the best way to improve economy while performance improvement is rickier and costs more. The belt squeak can be eliminated by changing the belt-it could be misaligned though due to bushing wear, and you need to pinpoint which belt it is. Short term you can spray some Belt Dressing on the offending belt...