940 trouble shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 940 trouble shifting

Good morning all, i hope i can be helpful in gettting help. So driving this morning it really struggled to keep up with 55 MPH and sat comfortably at 35 with out soundinglike it's struggeling to shift, sometimes it seems to be in the right gear or something and i can get to 65 pretty easily. There are times i sart the car and the red arrow is on but i'm not sure if i pushed the button on the shifter or not when i parked it or shift it. Also not sure if the shift release button has been lifted or not or if that would make a difference..
sorry to sound vague...

Old 06-04-2018, 02:50 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

is this an automatic or a stick?

assuming its an automatic.... is it revving way too high without upshifting when you try and accelerate at mild throttle? check the throttle pressure cable, this comes off the throttle 'spool' on top of the intake manifold under the hood, and goes back around behind the engine down to the transmission. it eventually fails, and 'sticks' out, so the transmission thinks you're flooring it, so it stays in lower gears. its not too hard to replace, but the back end of it is inside the transmission behind a cover plate.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Shayshine
Good morning all, i hope i can be helpful in gettting help. So driving this morning it really struggled to keep up with 55 MPH and sat comfortably at 35 with out soundinglike it's struggeling to shift, sometimes it seems to be in the right gear or something and i can get to 65 pretty easily. There are times i sart the car and the red arrow is on but i'm not sure if i pushed the button on the shifter or not when i parked it or shift it. Also not sure if the shift release button has been lifted or not or if that would make a difference..
sorry to sound vague...
If the red arrow is on then it's out of overdrive(4th gear) and still in 3rd, which would cause it to rev like crazy to get to 55 mph. The solenoid which controls overdrive could be going out. Never had that happen to me but I hear the symptoms are similar to what you describe - sometimes in OD sometimes not. If it is going out IPD has a bypass kit which is pretty cheap
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/4793...oid-bypass-kit

Old 06-04-2018, 09:40 PM
no mo volvo

I dunno about rev like crazy, sure the RPMs are a bit higher, maybe 3500 rpm at 65MPH instead of 3000 rpm. you can easily accelerate to about 80 in third (D w/o OD) the B230F is quite happy cruising as high as 5000 rpm.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes sir it is an automatic, I will look and see if i can locate the throttle preassure cable. it was odd because on the way home yesterday it gave me no problems even went to 75. However this morning once again it was pushing it going 60. sometimes when i start it the arrow is already on, should i be turning it off? It also looks like my Tranny fluid is high,(i checked it while hot) would this affect the motor?
Thank you guys so much for the help!

Old 06-05-2018, 02:24 PM
no mo volvo

the "OD disabled" arrow should always be off when you start the car, even if you shut it down with it on.

as a test, at a full stop, press the OD button so the light comes on, then roll out gently, you should feel 2 gear shifts by the time you get to about 30 mph, 1->2, 2->3, each of these the tachometer will drop RPMs. leaving it in OD off accelerate to about 55MPG, and press the OD button so the light goes off, you should feel the final 3->OD(4) shift, and the RPMs should drop again.

even wth the OD disabled (light on), the car should easily accelerate to 70 or so MPH, it will just require some serious throttle to get the RPMs up high enough.

re; this throttle cable. above the intake manifold, there's a silver 'spool' that has spiral cable tracks on it, and a pushrod down to the actual throttle body on the intake air path... one cable comes from the gas pedal, through the firewall and over the top of this spool, if you view the spool from the left (US driver) side of the car, that cable pulls the spool in a clockwise direction. if you have factory cruise control on a 940, the spool is split, and there's another cable from a vacuum bellow that also pulls part of the spool in the same direction.

finally, the transmission throttle pressure cable (often misnamed 'kickdown cable') wraps around this spool the other way, and comes off the bottom of the spool, through a ferrule and bracket, and into a bowden cable that goes down between the engine and the firewall to the far (right) side of the transmission... this cable should have a little metal bead on it thats about 1/8th of an inch from the end of the ferrule on the bowden cable sheath with just a tiny bit of slack in the exposed cable when everything is at rest and shut off. if you manually rotate the spool clockwise, this cable should be 'pulled' out, and when you relax the spool back to its rest position, this throttle cable also should return smoothly without any hesitation to the rest position

here's the throttle spool from a 1992 Volvo 740/940 Turbo w/o cruise control.