Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken cylinder head bolt in block SUCCESS!! The do's and don'ts

SUCCESS!!!! She did not win!!!!

Finally can move on with this project.

Short version:

+needed new cylinder head
+while taking old head off, one of the bolts snapped off flush at the block
+drilled middle as you should used the misnamed "easy out" and SNAP
+drilled and drilled to get the easy out.....out.
+finally got another hold drilled, in haste to finish, SNAP another misnamed "easy out"

Tried every bit known to man, cobalt, carbide n(these did help in the end, more on that), masonry, left hand, right hand, gold, pink, yellow, blue

Was drilling hole but the super hard easy out was still in the way.

Finally got the easy out.........out, or at least cleared using a, of all things, Bosch bit for tile/glass.

Used the Bosch 1/8" for tile/glass and it bored right through the remainder of the easy out. Got me down to metal I could then drill out with a standard cobalt bit (this originally worked but instead of taking my time and just drilling to the bottom and size up and drill to the bottom I got impatient).

To finally clear out the rest of the bolt which was probably seized up beyond belief to begin with, I found these carbide tipped industrial bits online, Broken cylinder head bolt in block SUCCESS!! The do's and don'ts-drill-bit.jpg
That thing bored through the rest of the bolt in about 2 minutes. The single flute is kinda weird but it busted right through it. They aren't cheap, I got 4 "pack" of 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 for $34 but I am keeping these babies.

So there are my did it right, screwed it up royally. Took probably $200 in different bits but it was sort of fun shopping all the time lol

Now, I have to tap the old hole (threads are toast) and probably use a time-sert of similar to make sure everything is secure.

I believe the cylinder head bolts are M12 x 1.75, can anyone confirm or deny that?

So I just need to find a time-sert/helicoil type deal of that size?

PS - thanks to all for their help.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 PM

THE FORCE IS STRONG IN THIS ONE.....

I DON'T KNOW KARATE BUT I KNOW CRAZY!!!!!!

SHOW ME THE BITS!!!!!!! BABY...

WAY TO GO MAN.....BUT DAMN $30 something for the bits huh...well it was worth it..

Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 PM

Yeah those carbide tipped ones I got (the straight flute ones) are hard core.

The cobalt twisted ones (got those at Home Depot) worked really well, I just got impatient and jumped in with the easy out, which it wasn't nearly time for it (I am ssssoooo done with those things). But after drilling/heating and such it starts to almost temper itself harder.

The straight flute carbide tips ones chewed it up pretty easy with a hand drill, low speed and light pressure.

I was surprised the glass/tile bit worked getting rid of the easy out but it bored right through it. If guessed that the easy out was hard but brittle, glass/tile is kinda of the same, who would of thought.

Looks like I can probably save the hole, I have a M12x1.75 tap I was testing out and it was pretty close but I think I'll just use the insert to be safe, dont' want to open this thing up again if I don't have to.

I will admit cruising the internet for hard core drill bits is kind of an adrenaline rush lol. But I do have them for any other mishaps that come up and I'm sure there will be some lol

Old 02-01-2013, 03:53 AM

Awsome....perseverance gave you a can of broken bolt whoop a@@! yahoooo!

Now I got to do the same on my 79 242 exhaust side...broke half way in there...Any left on that can?

Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

That really sucks, all the time. I probably would have gone for another motor.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 AM

analogies - patience, patience patience - and don't think about those damn "easy outs". OR buy me a plan ticket and I'll get it out for ya . It was 65 degrees on Wednesday (almost 30* above normal) and the low tonight is 18 (10* below normal).

And, as always, have the right tools, makes a huge difference. Those cobalt bits should drill right into that thing like butter (Home Depot $30 - 14 piece set). The lefty drill bits I heard work well too, tried them on this project but no luck because of the thrashing I already gave it, plus that bolt was about 3-4 inches in the block. Heat never hurts either.

rspi - another motor? eeekkkk, this is the project/toy/learn how to work on cars car. I wasn't going to go down for a damn bolt either!! That'll teach her to mess with me!! If it were a daily driver I probably would have gotten drunk, cried for days and my wife would have divorced me.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:10 PM

10 below normal...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the warmest thing to wear here in California that I've got is a V-neck, Haynes shirt and a bottle of Rum....

I'll check out those cobalt bits tomorrow for sure....

I would have done the same, gotten drunk and cried for days, my wife already divorced me...her eazy out worked quite well.....she eazy out with my wallet and the house....!!! jk...

Old 02-16-2021, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume, that the reason the tile bit worked is because it is designed for hard stuff, and the easy out is Hard, and therfore a bit brittle