Can't get my 1984 volvo 240 gl started

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get my 1984 volvo 240 gl started

I can't get it started I did everything the relay won't get power the intank fuel pump is rusted out and I got the main fuel pump to pump fuel from the tank and the fuel got to the fuel rail but the injectors won't pull fuel i changed the fuse by the coil in the battery tray and the connection to the positive battery terminal is rusted and I cant get the bolt off i ran a hose to the fuel rail and they won't pull fuel please help me I've been trying for 2 months the cars been sitting for a long time.
thank you..

Old 03-30-2020, 06:19 AM
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Just because the fuel got to the fuel rail doesn't mean that it will run. The injectors don't "pull" fuel, the main fuel pump delivers fuel to the rail a certain amount of pressure. If that pressure is too low, the injectors won't deliver enough fuel to the engine.

Really, you need to get these things all sorted out.

1) Rusted positive battery terminal? You need to get that sorted (I am assuming it is corrosion and not rust since battery terminals aren't steel).
2) In-tank pump rusty? I assume you mean the top of the sending unit is rusted out meaning there is no power getting to the in-tank pump. Only solution to that is a new sending unit and in-tank pump
3) Fuel pump relay has no power? Need to get a wiring diagram to chase that down.

How long has the car been sitting? If it has been a couple of years since it ran you probably need to drain the tank and make sure any gunk in there is cleaned out. ALso you probably will need to replace the fuel filter as running the gunk-contaminated fuel through it probably has clogged it.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:27 AM

The connector to the positive battery terminal coming from the 25 amp fuse is all rusted the bolt but it's still connected the top of the fuel sending unit is rusted like you said and the connectors are all faded and the car been sitting for 17 years what confuses me is the fuel pump relays they are the 2 metal thing under the passenger side dash because the newer ones have a white one hanging

Last edited by Sulaymaan; 03-30-2020 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:35 AM

I haven't worked on an '84 (only '89s and newer) so I'm not familiar with the fuel pump relay setup.

Check out this page:

In the Tank - 240 Volvo Tank Pump and Sender

It has a nice write-up on how to check the main and in-tank pump. Also, you can try jumpering the fuses as it describes there to run the in-tank an main pump to see if it will start that way.

If the car hasn't been run in 14 years you probably need to check out the entire fuel system as the fuel that sat in it more than likely has varnished. Since some of that fuel is past the fuel filter, it may already have gotten into the injectors and clogged.

Old 03-30-2020, 06:42 AM

So the fuel gauge isn't indicating fuel when I put 5 gallons in does the intank pump tell the level I thought it was a float

Old 03-31-2020, 09:19 AM

The level is determined by a float in the tank but it needs an electrical connection to get from the float to the fuel gauge. The reason your fuel gauge and in-tank pump aren't working is more than likely due to the hermetic seal where the wires go into the tank has failed and there is no longer an electrical connection for either the float sensor or the in-tank pump. The link I posted describes that condition and shows a picture of it.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:38 PM

So can the car run without the sending unit?

Old 03-31-2020, 04:55 PM
no mo volvo
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

sure, the sending unit *just* works the fuel gauge on the dashboard.

the car will run poorly without the intank pump working, however, and get worse as the tank gets below 1/3rd

Old 03-31-2020, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

The gauge's sending unit has nothing to do with getting fuel to the injectors. Are you sure your 84 has an in-tank fuel pump? I believe your 84 240 uses a similar set up to other K-jet cars of that era (I owned an 84 Audi 4000Quattro which used the same relay, fuel pump and filter as Volvos) where you have a fuel pump relay in the relay box (By the firewall or under the dash) and an external fuel pump with a line to the filter then on to the tank. Typically those old pumps will buzz and get warm when they are about to fail - which can pull too much current through the relay which can cause that to fail. The pump should be located under the car in front of the rear wheels and is a round cannister with two wires and hoses. The fuel filter is the cannister with the hoses and no wires... You can jumper the relay to test the pump - there are two small spades (to actuate the relay) and two large spades to connect the power. Jumper the two large spades to power the pump regardless of whether the engine is running or not (so do this only for testing). Pump should produce 42 PSI with a maximum current draw of 6.5A. Have you replaced the fuel filter recently (or ever?)? tested for flow out of the tank? tested pressure from the pump? tested pump current draw? Check out volvotips.com for a repair guide with pics (requires flash to view)

Last edited by mt6127; 03-31-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:06 PM

Yes I'm sure it had one it's inside the trunk under the mat and the top had a bung nut and the connection is rusted out and I tested the fuel pump by the wheels or the (main fuel pump) and it worked and fuel came out I disconnected the line and it went thru the fuel filter with not problem and the engine is getting fuel but the injectors aren't pulling or opening

Old 03-31-2020, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

well K-jet injectors are nothing more than spray nozzles so you'd need to see if fuel is getting into the fuel distributor (that round thing with the hoses going to the injector). See if you get fuel to the fuel line up there.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:25 PM
no mo volvo

I thought 84 was LH II ? last k-jet in the USA at least was 82 or 83.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:50 PM

Pierce I thought so to but it's not

Old 03-31-2020, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by pierce
I thought 84 was LH II ? last k-jet in the USA at least was 82 or 83.
okay I'll check and the line to the fuel rail is getting fuel just not alot

Old 03-31-2020, 11:59 PM
no mo volvo

wait, I thought KE-Jet cars didn't have teh 25A EFI fuse near the battery that LH cars have ?

Old 04-01-2020, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by pierce
wait, I thought KE-Jet cars didn't have teh 25A EFI fuse near the battery that LH cars have ?
Idk know but this is 84 and it has the fuse by the battery which is called engine management fuse

Old 04-01-2020, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps you might check fuel pressure at the fuel rail.My faulty memory seems to remember 55 lbs as a value desired.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:21 PM
no mo volvo

Originally Posted by Sulaymaan
Idk know but this is 84 and it has the fuse by the battery which is called engine management fuse
K-Jetronics has no fuse at the battery, the fuel injection and fuel pumps aren't even directly connected to the battery, they get their power from the positive terminal, via a wire that runs through fuse 7 in the main fuse panel. There is *only* a fuel pump relay connected directly to this fuse 7, this relay powers the main fuel pump directly, and the tank pump via fuse 5, and it powers the 'control pressure regulator' on the mechanical fuel distributor. The only 'control unit' is for th lambda (OX sensor), it modulates the frequency valve that fine tunes the fuel mixture at the mechanical fuel distributor.. by 84, afaik, this system was only used on the last of the 240 turbos, at least in the USA.

1984 LH systems, on the other hand, DO have that fuse on the smaller red wire from the battery + terminal, this fused power goes to a pair of relays, one for the fuel pumps, and and one for the ECU and rest of the LH system. On my wiring diagram for the 84 LH system, no in-tank pump is shown, but that might just be a drawing mistake as I think its still on fuse 5...

Old 04-01-2020, 03:23 PM
no mo volvo

Originally Posted by Zombi
Perhaps you might check fuel pressure at the fuel rail.My faulty memory seems to remember 55 lbs as a value desired.
depends on if this car actually is K-Jet... K-Jet has no fuel rail, rather the fuel goes to the fuel distributor which varies the injection pressure at the individual mechanical injectors according to air flow. K-Jet fuel pressure is a rather complicated differential system.

LH systems do have a fuel rail, and use about 36 PSI +/- 2 psi minus the intake manifold vacuum at the rail.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

maybe posting a pic of the engine would help. As Pierce noted, KJets are pretty easy to spot by their fuel distributor. I'm not sure which of the early/mid 80s years got which injector design...

Quick Reply: Can't get my 1984 volvo 240 gl started