engine started and stalled when it is warm/hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:34 PM
itr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine started and stalled when it is warm/hot

1991 244 with 200K miles. The car starts easy in morning/eveing cool temp. When temp. goes up (eg at noon or mid day, upper 90's) or warm engine, it will start and stall with "check engine" light on before I can put it in Drive. It will crank and start again, but I have to keep slight pressure on accelator to keep it from shut down. Once it is on the move, it runs fine. Please point me to the right direction before I have to turn it to the shop.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:54 AM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

check the fault code(s) on the OBD reader under the hood...

see Engine and OBD Diagnostic Codes

note there's two sets of codes, fuel injection codes are read with the jumper in #2, and ignition codes are in #6. forget all the DTM 2 and DTM 3 stuff for now, just read the fault code(s).

Old 07-28-2011, 05:24 PM
itr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

update on this issue: cold engine will crank and run, warm engine will crank, CEL comes on, and stalled. It will crank right up and stall again. It will also stall under load, e.g. idle with A/C on at stop light.

check engine code is above my head. So I sent the car to the Volvo shop that I have used for a long time. The result is they cannot get a code. They suggested to start with replacing the non-OME distributor cap and rotor, then Air mass sensor. I went ahead and changed the above. Did not solve the problem. The guys at Voluparts help me a lot, loaned me a rebuilt air flow sensor. After the change, the car with warm engine will crank, CEL light up but the car will keep the idle for little bit longer and stall again. Next suggestion was the computer, they loaned me one and hooked up, still did not solve the issue. They suggested the thermo coupler/sensor under #3 intake. That is work in progress right now. Any one in this forum can shine me some light to resolve the issue?? Thanks in advance.