Failed Fan

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed Fan

I have a 93 Volvo 240 with almost 245k on it! I've have the car for 11 months with no major problems. I've been fortunate enough to replace some old parts with new authentic Volvo parts. However, yesterday due to the weather and the parts being original. The alternator was going out and I didn't know it & the belt broke. My dash lit up from the battery drain. I replaced the alternator and belt with new ones to have my fan go out on the way home. So now the fan is being put on today, so that I can cool the car and get heat! Will this solve my problems? My car died on the driveway last night after having been outside in the snow and cold all day from breaking down to waiting on the tow truck. Is this normal to have my coolant bubbling over and lost of battery power? My lights are even off what happened? Someone please help me? Will my car run correctly afterwards?

Last edited by gemini68; 02-09-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What fan? The fan for your blower motor for your heater, or the fan that cools the radiator?

Old 02-09-2014, 02:34 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by gemini68
Will my car run correctly afterwards?
it should, if nothing else is wrong.

recent thing happened to me. I have a 1996 BMW R1100RS sport-touring motorcycle. its got about 90000 hard miles on it, lots of bad weather riding. the front brake master cylinder on a motorcycle is on the handlebars and exposed to the weather, mine was getting sticky, so I ordered a new one.... by the time it got in, I was too busy to work on to, so I let the shop do it.

pick the bike up a few days later (wasn't in a rush), drive to work 1/4 mile from the motorcycle shop, then drive home, get 100 yards down the freeway, the throttle sticks on high, oh crap, broken throttle cable, ok clutch in, hit the kill switch, coast to a stop, call shop back up.

yup, broken throttle cable. they fix that, test drive it, and oh crap, the drive shaft is melting down (its got a rubber shock thing in the middle, that died).

so back to the shop, and I manage to score a excellent condition drive shaft off ebay for $60 (new one costs $800, ouch!).

FINALLY my bike is fixed.

the point of this story is, if its not one thing, its another. or something like that.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by John Arsenault
What fan? The fan for your blower motor for your heater, or the fan that cools the radiator?
My apologies, I had to order a fan clutch. In addition, my new belt broke again only for me to be told that the guy might not know what he is doing. The guy from AutoZone told me that it may be a problem with the Pulley. However, this guy damaged my top bracket that holds the Alternator in place. Would this had spliced my alternator cable again? I just need my car fixed correctly because, it is too cold to be breaking down on the expressway with my daughter! Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited by gemini68; 02-09-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:31 PM
no mo volvo
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

The only stuff from Autozone I'd put in my Volvo is Oil and Antifreeze... and the one near me doesn't carry Zerex G05, so .......

We can't guess what some chainstore mechanic did to your car.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by pierce
The only stuff from Autozone I'd put in my Volvo is Oil and Antifreeze... and the one near me doesn't carry Zerex G05, so .......

We can't guess what some chainstore mechanic did to your car.
For clarity, My work was performed by a licensed shop mechanic not a chainstore mechanic. He was just simply sharing a possibility as to why my belt may have split into when I asked. I had just purchased the belt and questioned if it was just bad from the manufacturer. I went there for the belt and alternator because, someone in the forum stated that there was no need for a specialty shop. I'm going today to the Volvo dealer for my Alternator bracket. I was just wondering since it was bent because of age during the original alternator being removed if it could have caused my belt to break. I was reading some older post about the significance of the bracket keeping the belt in place away from the pulley. Could this have damaged/spliced the belt or was it just adjusted to tightly? When the mechanic told me that the top bracket that hold the Alternator was slightly bent, I asked if this would affect anything until got another bracket this week and he replied no! Please refer to original posting and this addendum to make suggestions or provide helpful advice. It is very much appreciated!!!

Last edited by gemini68; 02-10-2014 at 03:01 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:04 AM

[QUOTE=gemini68;380275]My apologies, I had to order a fan clutch. In addition, my new belt broke again only for me to be told that the guy might not know what he is doing. The guy from AutoZone told me that it may be a problem with the Pulley. However, this guy damaged my top bracket that holds the Alternator in place. Would this had spliced my alternator cable again? I just need my car fixed correctly because, it is too cold to be breaking down on the expressway with my daughter! Thank you so much for your help! Please read additional information provided John and thank you for your assistance in this matter. It's appreciated!

Old 02-10-2014, 06:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bad fan clutch would cause the car to heat up. And if your bracket is bent, that would wear your belt very fast also cause premature failure . When you look at the belt and pulleys they should be perfectly aligned. I hope you didn't over heat your engine to much over heating can cause more problems with the engine...so keep in mind next time you see that temp gauge clime shut the car off. From what I am getting though, when your belt broke your alternator stopped charging and your car heated up and died. I think it died because of the battery drain though and thats a good thing in this scenario. Saved you from toasting your engine.

Parts in question here for me is your alternator bushings..If these are worn out you will get some sloppiness and that would case your alternator to be mis allinged and could appear that the brackets are bent...With our seeing it with my own eyes and not being able to put my hand on it I can't be certain....

Before I would run to a dealer on the brackets I would check with RSPI I know he has a scrap yard down in his area with a few 240's , I was super impressed at the condition of the parts I received from him as well as the speed he acquired them in.

The bushings I would just buy new.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:32 AM

Thank You! I really appreciated the thorough explanation. It really helped me tremendously!