First post, First Volvo, First problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post, First Volvo, First problem

Hello everyone. I've started my volvo experience with a 1992 Volvo 740 turbo wagon. I bought it out of a pasture for 300 dollars and it is a great car. I've only had it two weeks but its getting 22mpg overall and just about everything I've gotten working. Besides some switches that needed cleaning(sat for 4 years) and seatbelts replaced(they were all cut) the last couple things I haven't managed to get working are the cruise, heated seats, and the cooling fan. The fan is my major priority. the fan is installed and the the wires run to the relay. My issue is on the fan switch end. I have two prongs protruding from the switch on the passenger side top of the radiator. at the bottom of the radiator I have two plugs that come from the fan relay under the radiator support and end in these two plugs at the passenger side bottom of the radiator. The plugs aren't spade and wouldnt fit the fan switch even if they were long enough. I must be missing a small piece of harness that goes from the switch to these plugs but I can't find a picture anywhere. Can someone describe this wire to me or let me know how theirs is wired. The car sat because it was hit in the passenger front corner. The radiator, intercooler and condensor was replaced(along with light and sheetmetal) far before I got the car. It sat because the airbox was missing and the m.a.f. was disconnnected. Anyways it is staying cool without the fan but its been a cool summer thus far in Idaho. I'm sure once it tops 80 degrees it will overheat without the fan. Please help if you can so I can finish the last piece to this puzzle. thanks,
Forrest

Old 06-11-2010, 12:33 PM

On my '92 740 the top pass. side radiator plug wires come out of the wiring harness by the headlight... Some wires out of that same harness go to 2 relays clipped in front of the battery...

Old 06-11-2010, 01:09 PM

Ok I have a purple, a brown, a grey plug (3) that are just hanging at the bottom passenger side of the radiator. The purple plug has two green wires with a red stripe. The brown plug has a white wire with a black stripe and a black wire and the grey plug has a blue wire with a black stripe and a black wire. I trace blue and white wires back across the bottom of the radiator to the fan relay.At the top of the fender I have a plug that has a white wire with a black stripe and a black wire and it crosses to the drive fender and ends in a plug so its unplugged at both ends with nothing to plug to.

Last edited by djforresta; 06-11-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:12 PM

The GREY plug with the GRN and RED wires pugs into a relay #899931. The wires (2 spades) that plug into the radiator switch are BLK and BLK/WHT stripe, and that leads into the wiring harness running alongside the passenger side fender. There is another GRY plug with two BLK/WHT wires and that plug is unplugged, used for who knows what, may be the fog lights... Now this car is NON TURBO, '92 740 no fog light, so there are some differences, like the battery is on the pass side and the washer bottle is on the dr. side.... But my '95 Turbo is different still...

Last edited by tedv; 06-11-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: edit
Old 06-11-2010, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the responses. Yea I didn't pull this apart so its really hard to know how to put it together and know whats missing. If someone has a 940 or 740 turbo car from 92 to 94 and wouldn't mind doing a little crawing around the engine bay I really need some help here. I can't find two spade wires anywhere? Pretty open and easy to see as I don't have an air box to condtend with. It was crushed so I replaced it with a cone filter. I wish I knew where one was so I could check it out for myself but in Idaho volvos are few and far between especially the late 740 t's.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:38 PM

Got my mitchells disks today and they were no help at all. same basic wiring diagrams I'd been seeing. I know those two plugs at the bottom of the radiator are the wires i need I just don't know how they go from a square plug to a spade plug I've got to be missing something in the middle. They are the white wire with black stripe and blue wire with black stripe and both plugs have a black ground wire. Question is what do the plug into between the relay and the pressure switch that is near or on the passenger lower fender where the airbox is?

Old 06-16-2010, 11:20 PM

Alright I got the correct fan today that plugged directly into my fan relay and when it got warm it kicked on and worked. I have nothing to hooked to the fan switch in the radiator just the two spades sticking out with nothing attached to them. I have no idea whats turning the fan on but if I let it idle in the sun once it hits halfway on the temp guage it kicks on. I'm totally lost.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:22 PM

Alright I got the correct fan today that plugged directly into my fan relay and when it got warm it kicked on and worked. I have nothing to hooked to the fan switch in the radiator just the two spades sticking out of the radiator fan switch with nothing attached to them. I have no idea whats turning the fan on but if I let it idle in the sun once it hits halfway on the temp guage it kicks on. I'm totally lost. those two plugs must be a turn on switch for the AC? Can anyone tell me whats plugged into their AC relay.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Default helllppp volvo 940 turbo

my car will not start its a 92 volvo 940 turbo, i just got the new fuel pump relay and it drove fine but then i drove the car got a check engine light and car will not start. it cranks but makes a weird sound like a belt is not kicking in. is there any advice