Fuel Pump Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Fiasco

I've had this 87' 740GLE for about 6months. I ran it to and from New Orleans and back to Florida without fail. Come to find out... there are tons of things wrong with it from years of fools working on it. For instance, I recently found out the "new" spark plug wires were held together with rust, and the coil was wired by a bundle of disintegrated bare wires. I replaced the ignition switch, trans. speed sensor, plugs, wires, distributor cap and a brand new a/c system. My Dad also helped me clean and shrink wrap wires just as a temporary solution. (Pain in the tucus)

The GLE was running great for a week. Smooth. Then, it started hesitating on cold starts. More and more tries it took for the engine to start... Eventually, it wouldn't and I had to get it towed. I figured it had to do with fuel delivery.

I pulled the console, and checked out the fuel pump relay. I felt it click when I started it. I took a simple wire and connected 87/2 and 30 together and I could hear the fuel pump whirring. Then I disconnected the pump, and tried the test again. This time the rear one started whirring. I put the relay back and it started right up (Car up on jack stands in the rear). I cheered for 740, and let it run for a while. Since I only had a 1/4 tank, I thought I might just shut it off. I put away the tools, and then had a slight inclination to try it one more time. Didn't start. Tried it 4 more times... didn't start. At this point, all I wanted to do was punch the car.

Did I check everything alright?
Is it the fuel pump? I do have the original pump.
Fuel filter?
Auxiliary pump?

Maybe it's not the fuel system?
I need this car to be a champ!

Any help is really appreciated!

Mike

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Pump Fiasco-volvo1.jpg  
Old 10-09-2010, 12:50 PM

Go to www.stepbystepvolvo.com and download free guide to 740 no-starts. A possible culprit is the Hall sensor. Check for spark.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:13 AM

Thanks Fred. I already checked for spark, and we're good. I replaced the fp relay, and the thing started right up! So far so good!