Getting started here- 1995 940

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting started here- 1995 940

I'm sure I should be posting in the noob forum, but I wanted to get right to the heart of the issue.

I have a 940, purchased last year, and I'm trying to get acquainted with it. I owned the same model before, flipped it, and it saved my life (walked away without a scratch) so the obvious choice was to get another. My previous car was my first car and I had never really questioned what happened beneath the hood. If something went wrong, I took it to a generic shop and they'd smooth it out, but it was a relatively trouble-free car.

This second car has some fun bugs, and I really want to know what specifically is going on. I've had the throttle cleaned, the flame trap cleaned, new tires, the AC fixed, the EGR valve replaced, and the overdrive relay repaired. It still runs a little rough, but I imagine I'll post about what specifically is wrong in due time on this forum. Right now, I was wondering how I can learn about the engine in my car (B230FD) and the other systems that keep it running. It seems like a really daunting task and I don't have anyone to teach me. Is there a good internet resource that labels all of the parts or something like that? Thanks for your help! I'm sure I'll be on here often. I love my big green beauty!

Old 08-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by heliantha22
Right now, I was wondering how I can learn about the engine in my car (B230FD) and the other systems that keep it running. It seems like a really daunting task and I don't have anyone to teach me. Is there a good internet resource that labels all of the parts or something like that? Thanks for your help! I'm sure I'll be on here often. I love my big green beauty!

There are lots of books out there that explain the basics theories of internal combustion engines, but I sense that you're mainly interested in just doing maintenance. I would suggest getting the appropriate Haynes or Chiltons shop manual. Thumb through it and you should get a feel for what is involved in the way of tools, equipment and expertise. Start out by doing your own oil change and the money you save will pay for the book.