help: Fuel Pump & Radio Relay 87 740 gle

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help: Fuel Pump & Radio Relay 87 740 gle

Volvo 87 gle 740

My car won't start, it will however turn over (and play dead). No fuel at the fuel rail. We are pretty sure it has something to do with the radio relay or the fuel pump relay. Took out FPR and cleaned the contacts and could hear and see it making contact when the key was in position II and III. We jumpered the slots where the fuel pump relay was and found no evidence that either the intank or primary fuel pumps were operating. My dad was under the car near the primary pump and had a hand on it and did not hear or feel it operating. Then he put his ear over the gas tank opening and could not hear or feel anything there either. We have not been able to locate the radio relay. We have searched the engine compartment where the threads from this site said we should look, both fender wells, behind power steering reservore, and cooling reservore, strut towers, even down by the ABS modual and still nothing. We did locate something on the fuse panel and we don't know what it was. It is in the L slot, it is some type of relay. The L slot is open and has no discription in our manuel. Any help as to where else to find the radio relay and what is in the L slot on the fuse panel? Here is a pic of the fuse panel.

Also souldered the back of the fuel pump relay in 4-5 areas that were crystalized.

Fuse Panel Pic

Old 01-22-2005, 01:01 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: help: Fuel Pump & Radio Relay 87 740 gle

You might still have a bad fuel pump relay in the fuse box.I have seen them click and not power the pumps.Do you know what the suppresion relay looks like that you are looking for?I will post a pic of one for you so you know what it looks like.You need to look at a wiring diagram and find the wire that comes out of the relay in the fuse box that powers the pump and check for power.

The pictures aren't the best but that is what the relay looks like.Your car may have one and may not.

The only other thing I could thing of is what does your speed sensor look like?